Menu

Creating Tasks

Anonymous
2010-06-18
2013-01-09
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2010-06-18

Hi, can you explain the difference in creating tasks via the system settings (System menu -> Settings) vs the Add button on the day view? On the best practices webpage it says regular tasks that repeat should be created in the system settings rather than manually. Why is this?

http://rachota.sourceforge.net/en/docs/best_practice.html

Thanks.

• Jiri Kovalsky

Jiri Kovalsky - 2010-06-21

Hi David, if you have some tasks that repeat regularly like "reading e-mails" or weekly like "send report to my boss" then it's better to register them in Settings dialog and assign desired frequency. This way you will not have to add them to your plan day by day/weekly etc. and Rachota will do that automatically for you. However it's up to you of course. You can ignore settings dialog but if you for example have an English lesson every Wednesday, you will have to remember that and add it to your plan in the mid of every week while Rachota could create such task in your plan instead of you.

Hope this helps. Is it clear now?
    -Jirka

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2010-06-21

Hi Jirka, I believe I understand now. The tasks setup in the system settings always appear when I start a new day. So if I have a task that I know I will just be doing today, I should add it via the main window. That way I can book time against it and tomorrow it will not show up.

Thanks for the clarification.

David

• Jiri Kovalsky

Jiri Kovalsky - 2010-06-21

Yes, tasks added manually via the day view will not show up next day. There is one exception though. If you check "Move unfinished tasks" option in the settings, Rachota will copy all "New" and "Started" tasks from yesterday to today's plan. So if you really don't want to see them copied either finish them or uncheck that setting.

Thanks for using Rachota Timetracker David!