Menu

[TRAC] Slowing down explorer after a while

Anonymous
2010-12-29
2021-02-07
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2010-12-29

Trac is down so I thought I'd post the problem here.

I have noticed that after a while Qttabbar slows down explorer on one of my computers. I have it on another computer as well and this does not happen. I have re-installed windows during that time and the problem persists. I have installed TortoiseHg and TortoiseSVN, they may be contributing to the slow-down, but I am not sure.

On to the slowdown itself. After a while, when I go into a folder, it takes a second or so to go in, which does not seem like a lot, but if you are going back and forth it becomes very annoying very quickly. When I turn of task manager, I see explorer.exe using up more than 200mb of RAM which is not normal. Right now I have turned off the tab bar and explorer is running fine for the past 3 days (non-stop, no restarts, only standbys). Current explorer usage is a little less than 30mb which is normally what I would see. Perhaps there is a memory leak somewhere?

Now on to the interesting part. Another computer with TortoiseHg installed (no TortoiseSVN though) does not show the same symptoms. Although one thing is different, I have customized the tab bar (with its options menu) on the computer where the problem is seen. I will try to pin-point the source if that is the case.

I suspect there is a memory leak somewhere. I understand there is not a lot to go on from the above description, but at least you are aware of the issue.

Finally, thanks for the program, without it, explorer feels like its broken :)

👍
  • Hongkui Tan

Hongkui Tan - 2021-02-07

I have the same problem.