Tab Image/Color Customization?

Paul
2011-11-07
2013-11-21
  • Paul

Paul - 2011-11-07

Just wondering if anyone has customized their Tab colors/images & Toolbar Backgrounds? If so, it would be cool to post your pics… Skinning would be a cool feature for a future version of QTTB…

Here's my current QTTB:

• Mike Connor

Mike Connor - 2011-11-08

Yes I have a few customisations and mods;

Regards….Mike Connor

• Lupin

Lupin - 2011-11-10

I customized the heck out of Explorer to make it useable (last time Windows had an explorer that bad/useless was with Windows 3.11).

• Paul

Paul - 2011-11-30

Nice customizations guys! Mike, I like the way the bottom of your tabs are rounded so they blend with the active pane well.

Lupin, what are the 2 buttons on your caption bar (next to the minimize/maximize/close buttons)?  It looks similar to ExtraButtons app, but not exactly.

• Paul

Paul - 2011-11-30

Thanks Mike! I see my tabs pngs were way off in size and design lol… Now I have a new mini project to have fun with :)

Thanks a lot and have a great day…
    Paul (Ixios)

• Lupin

Lupin - 2011-11-30

These buttons are added by UltraMon, a program that helps with multi monitor setup (Windows' handling of multiple monitors is almost as bad as stock Explorer is). The buttons let me maximize a window over all screens or move a maximised window to another screen. But now that you talk about it, I actually never used these buttons since I activated them, so I'll disable them now (there are other useful functions that ultramon provides behind the scenes though).

• Paul

Paul - 2011-11-30

Lupin, thanks for the response… I have heard about UltraMon… never used it… I agree about Windows' handling of multiple monitors lol…

Okay, so I used the tabs that Mike pointed me to and have played around a little. Here's a screenshot of what I made this morning:

This isn't how I'm going to leave it (don't love the red color lol)… just played around a little while having morning coffee.

I do have a question… How do I remove or move the band that is between the tabs and the file list?  (the band containing "Organize", "Include in library", "Share with" etc)…

Cheers,
    Paul

• Lupin

Lupin - 2011-11-30

Yes, one of the other annoyances of Explorer (as were the "libraries" in the folder pane, that mashed all files it found together in a useless way). I did change this a long time ago, but I think it was the way it's described in the second link Mike has given.

• Paul

Paul - 2011-11-30

Thanks for the links Mike! I actually ran across moo0 and door2windows yesterday while trying to find another app.

So here's another screenshot of my newest tabs/toolbar…

I downloaded the program to disable the Command Bar… just haven't ran it yet lol…

Cheers!

• Paul

Paul - 2011-11-30

The pic I just posted looks like it was cut off… I was trying to just cut a smaller section of a screen capture, but it didn't work right… sorry about that… 

The tab named "ixios" the mouse hover colors… of course the green tab is the active tab…I put a slight glow around the green(active) tab… still need to tweak it a bit I think…

• Paul

Paul - 2011-12-01

Okay… I think the Active Tab Glow looks better now…  Is there a standard size for the toolbar image file? I've tried creating it at 100px by 100px and using "Stretch" in the qttb settings, but that doesn't seem to render quite right. The size I used in the attached example is 5000px (wide) by 100px (high)… Also using "Stretch" and it renders perfectly.  Thanks to Mike for giving me the correct image size for the Tabs :)

• Mike Connor

Mike Connor - 2011-12-01

It took me quite a while playing around before I discovered that most of the stuff I found was the wrong size.  I made that tab image myself using trial and error. Here are the toolbar images made in the same way;

I don't bother using these now, as I now use another customisation system.  I am not a fan of "eye-candy" as such,  I just want functionality. It is also important to me that I am not "blinded" by various screens, so I use a more or less uniform grey background for a lot of things.

At present my system looks like this;

Regards….Mike Connor

• Aquinter

Aquinter - 2013-11-21

Hi

I know this probably is the biggest necropost on this forum as of now, but I still wanted to show that QTTabBar is still beautiful, even in windows 8.

I customized the tabbar to my likings, and ended up with this:

alternate text

The 'Iomega(F:)' tab is hovered, and 'Computer' is the active one.
    I think it fits well in the simple coloring of explorer, have fun with it.
    I also set the color of inactive tab to something grey, it made the active one more obvious.

This is the image file:
    alternate text
    (just set all borders except bottom to 1 pixel, it's made as 25 height, which is default)