Menu

Licence

Reinarte
2013-06-18
2015-04-07
  • Reinarte

Reinarte - 2013-06-18

Hello, what would be the QtRPT licencing terms?
    Because I would like to use it with my program.

• aliks-os

aliks-os - 2013-06-18
      The terms of using QtRPT is LGPL

18.06.2013, 11:49, "Reinarte" <reinarte@users.sf.net>:

Hello, what would be the QtRPT licencing terms?
      Because I would like to use it with my program.

Licence

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in https://sourceforge.net/p/qtrpt/discussion/general/

To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/

• Thomas Hasart

Thomas Hasart - 2014-10-29

I think for LGPL it is nessesary (better) to release it as a shared lib, if someone want use it in commercial programs.

• Reinarte

Reinarte - 2013-06-18

Thanks for the answer. So I can incorporate QtRPT program with my application for the report generation part and redistribute it as a commercial solution? or there is some restrictions?

• aliks-os

aliks-os - 2013-06-18
      Currently no any restrictions. You may use it in any commercial application.
      If possible, please indicate in some Documents (such as Readme, Help files etc) which will come with your
      application that you use QtRPT and my name/email.
      When you complete your application, please inform me which application use QtRPT.

P.S. currently new version in progress. Will be presents some new features.
      I hope will be ready during some days

18.06.2013, 17:16, "Reinarte" <reinarte@users.sf.net>:

Thanks for the answer. So I can incorporate QtRPT program with my application for the report generation part and redistribute it as a commercial solution? or there is some restrictions?

Licence

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in https://sourceforge.net/p/qtrpt/discussion/general/

To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/

• Reinarte

Reinarte - 2013-06-18

Ok no problem, thank you!

• Frank

Frank - 2014-09-28

The problem with qtrpt and LGPL is the that you don't have a dynamic library.
    With LGPL you have to give the source of qtrpt to everyone who use your software and ask for the code because you have to grant the right for changing the qtrpt source code.
    This is one of the main thought behind LGPL.

With the default build option you don't have a dynamic library. If you build the qtrpt source direct (static) in your project you have give the source of your program to every user who ask for changeing the qtrpt source. Otherwhise you violate the LGPL.

Apache 2.0 would be the better license because you have to write/show a text that you use a library under apache 2.0 license and it's not necessary to open the source or give it to the user.

• aliks-os

aliks-os - 2014-09-29

I use LGPL/GPL the license as I use Qt as under this licenses. Respectively I can't use another of the license (for example Apache 2.0), it is right?

Proceeding from logic of LGPL/GPL, users who use QtRPT also have to provide access to an source code of the program.

Concerning static build of QtRPT, I can't make it as I don't use the commercial Qt version.

• Frank

Frank - 2014-09-30

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Lesser_General_Public_License

So you can mix the libraries and software lisense in your software what ever you want as long the LGPL part is dynamically linked.
    Btw: you can do with your software what you want and relisense it under any lisense you want - it's yours. ;-)
    One exception: if you use a GPL (only) library you have to open your source.

This is a list of differenct qt project with different lisense
    http://qt-project.org/wiki/Category:Add-ons

For all the other user of your library: if you want to use qtrpt in your project you have to use/build a dll or release the source of your software.

Frank

• aliks-os

aliks-os - 2014-09-30

For you personally than the license GPL/LGPG is bad?
      You don't want to open the source code? And want to use opensource?

• Frank

Frank - 2014-09-30

"For you personally than the license GPL/LGPG is bad?"
    No, not the LGPL, because I know how to create a dll from a c++ project.
    But for all other here could it be a problem because they violate the lisense
    if they want to make a commercial application and (&&) include the QtRPT
    source by including the qtrpt.pri direct into their project.

If you like I can give you the few files for creating a dll - they habe to be
    under LGPL because the files are derived work form your project. In my project
    I include only a header file which is a counter part of the exported functions
    of/from the dll.

• aliks-os

aliks-os - 2014-10-01

Thanks, I know how to create a dll. Well I completely understand the situation coz they must open code but it undesirable. But if I make the dll and change the license then I violate the Qt license, isnt it?

Last edit: aliks-os 2014-10-01
      • StrikeByte

StrikeByte - 2014-10-30

You can make closed source projects with Qt without violating the Qt opensource licence, as long as you link dynamicaly to the Qt libs.

there is problem, you are using the zint project for the barcodes this project is licenced as GPL so you are required to open all source using this lib. the only way to make this project available in LGPL is by removing the barcode generator or use a different one licenced in LGPL

Last edit: StrikeByte 2014-10-30
        • aliks-os

aliks-os - 2014-10-30

Many thanks for an explanation!
          I will think that it is possible to undertake in this case.

• StrikeByte

StrikeByte - 2014-10-30

I love this project, so i hope you will keep it as LGPL.
    For my project I changed the report designer and creator so that it doesn't use zint (no barcode support)

• aliks-os

aliks-os - 2014-10-30

There can be it and a way out, not to include zint in structure of the project, and to suggest users to download it separately and to use if necessary

• StrikeByte

StrikeByte - 2014-10-30

That would be super

• aliks-os

aliks-os - 2015-04-07

Dear users of QtRPT

For a long time the QtRPT project is distributed under the LGPL license. This license allows you to dynamically link with your source code. In order to facilitate the user to use QtRPT and allow to produce statically linking, I decided to change the Apache 2.0 license.

License Apache 2.0 more permissive compared to LGPL, I hope that the transition will not create problems for you

Please note that QtRPT to generate bar code uses the Zint library, which is distributed under license GPL, in this case, you must use your project is also under this license or disable the use of the Zint library.