Menu

Empty folders on NAS - rsync fails

2015-04-28
2015-05-14
  • Kris Piessens

Kris Piessens - 2015-04-28

Started QtdSync a few weeks ago, and it turns out to be a very nice and versatile tool. However, I'm lost regarding the following problem:

My primary backup location is a NAS (at home, local network). QtdSync accepts this backup location, takes the normal time to execute the backup, but only creates an empty folder structure. It does end with an error message:

---> Running rsync failed!
    (with accompanying warning dialogue box)

So it looks like the problem is with rsync.

A full sync is correctly created on other backup locations (internal HD or USB connected external HD). Mapping the NAS drive does not change the behavior. At work I tested QtdSync to a mapped network location on one of the servers, and that does work. I can access and copy to my NAS, both under windows and the DOS window. The computer to backup from is running Windows 8.

Any ideas on origin/remedy?

• Fireball

Fireball - 2015-04-29

How did you set up your NAS?
    Is there an rsync daemon running?
    A permissions issue?

• Kris Piessens

Kris Piessens - 2015-05-14

Sorry for the very late reply. It's an 'old' Conceptronic CHD3NET with ~1.5Tb, which is directly linked to the router. No permissions issue, or at least none that I could identify. No rsync deamon is running. I've got Seafile running, and just to be sure there are no conflicts from that corner, shut that down.

When doing some more tests, I noticed some unusual behavior when looking at the properties of directories on the NAS. Windows counts only the files directly in that directory, not the ones in the subdirectories. And more peculiarly, regardless of the number of subdirectories, it keeps counting to infinity for the number of subdirectories.

This seems somehow connected to the hickups in the copy-paste processes, which means it is not rsync related.

Googled a bit, but this issue should not occur with the most recent firmware update (which I've installed).