Ogg Tag support?

Help
2004-01-31
2013-04-11
  • Gustavo Torrico

Gustavo Torrico - 2004-01-31

Hi I was wondering if the component supports reading ogg tags. I've had no luck trying iTunes to read the information stored in the tags.  I have a huge collection of music that I encoded using oggenc using my linux box.  I know the tags exist because they can be read by Zinf as well as by my IRiver IHP120 jukebox.  If I want to use iTunes will I need to retag all of my files?

Thanks in advance

• Alexander Thomas

The plugin does support OGG tags, but there is a flaw in the implementation. The OGG specifications state that OGG tags are case-insensitive, i.e. 'ARTIST' should be treated equal to 'artist' or even 'ArTiSt'. However, the plugin treats the tags in a case *sensitive* way, and only accepts uppercase letters. Oggenc uses lowercase letters. You get the picture.

It should be easy to fix this, but this plug-in hasn't been updated in a year or so, so I'm afraid it won't happen unless the developer or someone else picks up development again.

What you could do, is writing a script which takes all your ogg files as input, retrieves their OGG tags, and re-sets them using uppercase names. The vorbiscomment utility which is included with the vorbis-tools package, uses uppercase letters by default. However, this will require some scripting skills...
      What you also can do, is editing the source code of oggenc so that it uses uppercase tags (replace 'artist' by 'ARTIST', 'album' by 'ALBUM', and so on), and re-compile it. At least all of your new files will then have the 'right' tags.

• Alexander Thomas

OK, I found the offending line of code:

"while (p->tag[j] && toupper(p->tag[j]) == str[j]) {"

in OggVDecompressor.c (about line 1070) should be changed to:

"while (p->tag[j] && toupper(p->tag[j]) == toupper(str[j])) {"

I'll compile an OS X binary with this fix + the slow loading fix mentioned in the Open Discussion forum. Look in the thread "[PATCH] massive vorbis speedup" of that forum for where to download the binary.

One note: like with all other QuickTime imported formats except mp3 and AAC, iTunes will not read the DATE and TRACKNUMBER tags, so if you want to have these in your iTunes library, the only option is to copy them manually.

• Anonymous - 2004-02-20

Could somebody compile a Windows binary with the above fix + the slow loading fix?

Thanx!

• Miles Egan

Miles Egan - 2004-10-21

This is a hacky solution to the date/tracknumber problem but it does seem to work:

http://stompstompstomp.com/weblog/technical/2003-09-22

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks