Anyone ever get maps on this thing?

Maps
Jared Kidd
2010-05-12
2013-04-17
  • Jared Kidd

Jared Kidd - 2010-05-12

I always had qpegps on my zaurus to start and monitor the gps signals as it does this very well. I was never able to figure out how to get maps working on it though. Anyone have any pointers? I noticed there are two versions of the program now:
    qpegps_0.9.2.3.4_arm.ipk 
    qpegps_0.9.2.3.4_maps_arm.ipk
    What are the differences between these two? I can't find any info anywhere to tell me.

• Kyle Davenport

Kyle Davenport - 2010-05-12

The _maps_ ipk includes the other one plus some sample European maps.

If you check back thru the forum, you'll find links to software or urls that help create the maps for you.    However, I never found an easy way to get google satellite maps in there.  

• Graham

Graham - 2010-05-12

My page here:

http://homepages.phonecoop.coop/4oznuff/maps/qpegpsmaps.html

used to to allow selection between Maps, Hybrid and Satellite but I haven't updated the code in a while so it doesn't look like it works now. However, all the code is in that page and the associated javascript file so it could be edited.

I think I have a slightly improved version at home which allows/allowed a choice between Google Maps and Microsoft. Will see if I can remember to dig it out.

For these maps you need to take a screen shot and crop out the map exactly to the boundary (auto crop in something like Gimp will help a lot), put the text at the top of the page in a maps.txt file and replace "name" with the name of the file you store the image in. OK, it's not as simple as would be nice, but it does let you chose from an interactive map and didn't take long to code.