Menu

4.8.2 Will not control ArtNet...

2014-11-25
2014-12-12
  • Tavon Markov

Tavon Markov - 2014-11-25

I upgraded from 4.7.4 to 4.8.2 and now my setup will not communicate with the lights... What happened?

• Tavon Markov

My I/O settings are identical to my previous version... The file works fine when I downgrade to 4.7.4.... but with the new version... nothing.

• Massimo Callegari

Hello to you.
    If you read the changelogs of the last three versions, you will notice that there's been a change on universe numbering with version 4.8.0.
    Also read the documentation.

Since you haven't written with which ArtNet node you want to communicate, I cannot help more than this

Last edit: Massimo Callegari 2014-11-25
  • Tavon Markov

The universe I use is simply universe 1.

• Massimo Callegari

Ok, so you don't know what an ArtNet node is.
    A node is an endpoint of an ArtNet network.
    It can be either a hardware device (ENTTEC ODE, eDMX1, eDMX2) or a software.
    On Universe 1 now QLC+ outputs on ArtNet universe 0, so in the first case (hw device) it's written in the documentation, in the second case just configure your software to receive on universe 0.

• Jano Svitok

Jano Svitok - 2014-11-26

Tavon,

would you please describe your setup in detail? I.e. Operating system + version, (active) network interfaces in your computer, any active VPN in your computer, the network between your artnet device and your computer, and what is your artnet device?

I've lent my eDMX device to a friend recently, I showed him some QLC+ features over teamviewer and we've had problems with artnet output if there were two active interfaces with similar IP adresses (one was direct cable connection to eDMX, the other was connection to WAN router). eDMX configuration utility was working OK. I am planning to investigate, but didn't have time for it yet.

• Massimo Callegari

Jano, the same project works fine with 4.7.4 so I presume it's just a change of universe address

• Tavon Markov

Tavon Markov - 2014-11-26

I am running Windows 8, with an eDMX1 adapter. Its connected to the subnet router in the tech booth. So there are few other devices connected. I only have the ONE DMX device. There are not multiple devices. What exactly am I to change to make the ArtNet respond to Universe 1? I am sort of at a loss. When I look at the eDMX1 control panel, I dont see any way to change the "node" or universe numbering.

• Tavon Markov

Tavon Markov - 2014-11-26

Nevermind. I found it. I had to click on the device eDMX1 in the left column, Click the Port A tab, and then adjust the Universe number from 2 to 1. Because the older version of QLC had to use ArtNet universe 2 to start... I forgot that step of my initial setup! Thanks for the pointers everyone!

• Massimo Callegari

Tavon, we haven't touched the output part since 4.8.0.

In "troubles1.png" I see "node discovered: 1", so I suppose it is actually working. (if you expanded the nodes tree we would have seen your eDMX1...)
    Can you please try to uninstall all the QLC+ versions you have and start fresh with just a 4.8.2 ?

Also, if it still doesn't work, go to simple desk and raise channel 512 of the universe you are transmitting on. See if it makes any change and let us know

• Tavon Markov

Tavon Markov - 2014-12-03

The channel 512 trick works. I uninstalled all other version and reinstalled 4.8.2. I am just afraid that the other operators will not understand this "workaround". I made a single channel generic fixture on ch 512 and made a function for it and assigned it to a button to make this work.. but... whats wrong?

• Massimo Callegari

It's an internal change done since 4.7.0. Basically QLC+ sends only the data related to the needed channel of each universe.
      For example if you use 10 channels, there's no need to send 512 channels via ArtNet to save CPU usage and network bandwidth.

We already spotted that this doesn't work well with the DMXUSB plugin, and now apparently on ArtNet as well.
      Problem is that, in my opinion, it's a fixture problem. Some (serious) fixtures don't care if the channels around them are floating. You should be able to fix the problem even raising 2-3 channels after your last fixture in the universe.

It's just weird.
      I'll try to go with another solution and see if it works.
      In any case I can reproduce the bad behaviour with my eDMX2 and a stupid RGB par.

• Tavon Markov

Tavon Markov - 2014-12-04

Okay. I did make the workaround on my system for the time being. The button label explains what to do... If I knew anything about programming I would try to fix it, but I dont. Thanks for looking into it. This QLC+ is the best software I have ever used and I truly appreciate the effort and detail you put into this!

• Tavon Markov

Tavon Markov - 2014-12-04

Also, here is my setup. If it helps..

• Tavon Markov

Tavon Markov - 2014-12-08

http://qlcplus.sourceforge.net/test/QLC+_4.8.3-TEST-20141204.exe

This release fixed the DMX issue. Thank you! Saw it in the development post regarding Matt's function issue...

• jerome B

jerome B - 2014-12-11

Same problem here with a ubuntu version.
    I try to control a Arduino Art-net (code from http://www.claudeheintzdesign.com/lx/lxarduino_sketches.html ) and can't get any control of the device.
    Somme other art-net controller take control of the node nicely (artnet-examples from https://github.com/OpenLightingProject and Art-Net controler on an Android device https://sites.google.com/site/artnetcontroller/).
    WireShark exam of port 6454 show malformed art-net frames (ArtDMX frames 0x5000), evrything is good execpt the data bytes themself.

• Jano Svitok

Jano Svitok - 2014-12-11

I tried to improve the artnet code in 4.8.2, but I introduced a bug instead. Sorry for that. It'll be fixed in 4.8.3 (see the test build above). If you can't use it, try 4.8.1.

• jerome B

jerome B - 2014-12-12

Hi,

dont worry walkaround is know ans simple.
        I'll just wait for the 4.8.3 because the test build is for windows and I use linux.

let's the show go on :)

• Tavon Markov

Tavon Markov - 2014-12-11

I just want to thank all of the program developers and code tweakers. If it weren't for you, we would all be using some Commercial junk or one of the other Open Source programs. None of the other OS applications deliver an 1/8th of what QLC+ puts out!