Menu

Hlep with defining Stage Flame device

2015-03-03
2015-03-07
  • kevininsocal

kevininsocal - 2015-03-03

I am new to the forum (and DMX). I produce pyromusicals with electronic firing systems to control fireworks. I am adding 6 Flame machines this year. Please forgive my ignorance, but I need help:
    This is from the manual (translated from Chinese, so it's a little rough):

"It has two channels for controlled by DMX 512.When push up the
    fist channel,the fire is in shape of a ball.when push up both two
    channels,the fire is in cylinder shape.This device can be turned off for
    automatic protection when eruptive time over 3 seconds .
    Be sure spray fire no more than 3 seconds each time.
    DMX-512 Function: The device adopts international standard DMX-512 signal,
    with totally 2 channels, details as below:

1.Turn on NO.1 means DMX 512 synchronous on-line model
    Channel NO. CH1
    Function "Fire up"

Channel NO. CH 2
    Function "For controllingthe size of fire"
    Remark "From 0 to 255,the bigger of value ,the higher fired up"

SO, do I use 2 channels, with Channel 1 setting 0=OFF and 1-255=ON, and Channel 2 with values 1-255 for intensity of flame? The instructions say "push up the first channel" to get a fireball, but I have no idea if there is a value associated with that or just something other than 0. Does that make sense?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
    kevin

Last edit: kevininsocal 2015-03-03
    • RODOLFO

RODOLFO - 2015-03-04

It takes the documentation or the name of Fixture

• Boxy

Boxy - 2015-03-04

Hi Kevin,

Put your kit in a farmer's field and use the simple console tab to adjust channels 1 and 2 to see what happens. Are you aware each device on the DMX system has it's own start address? Can this be changed with these Chinglish fixtures?

Channel 2 seems obvious (some kind of fan?). Channel 1 suggests 0 is off, with 1-255 changing some shape feature of the flame.

Regards,

Boxy

• kevininsocal

kevininsocal - 2015-03-05

hi Boxy,

Thanks for the reply. That's what I was thinking...just trial and error to figure it out! Yes, the manual does cover the start addresses, with device 1 needing start address 1, Device 2 needing start address 17, etc. So I think I will be able to address each device correctly. They each have dip switches on the back for setting start addresses (I will try to attach a pic).

Actually the mechanism is very simple. There is an 11-ounce aerosol can of automotive starter fluid that sits on a spring-loaded platform with its tip pressing into a solenoid. When the device activates, the solenoid opens, spraying starter fluid straight up, and a small igniter creates a spark in the fluid stream. And then, as the Chinese manual says, "The flame projected as if the explosion of atomic bomb which can bring the show to the climax."

It sounds incredibly dangerous, but they work pretty well :)

• Boxy

Boxy - 2015-03-05

Kevin,

Could you attach the manual (or pics of it). I'm intrigued by these.

• kevininsocal

kevininsocal - 2015-03-07

Here is the "manual" (attached). Also, when I mentioned a manual before (re: addressing), I guess I was just thinking of the DMX512 manual (I bought a controller not realizing that I could use my computer).

The lady at the factory in China also emailed me this regarding addressing:

"Hello Kevin,

1) controller all , in First one device you press down 1 (like photo in attach ) , then Second ,Third ......Sixth all press down 1 if you want controller all devices .

2) Control one by one , in First one device you press down 1 , The second press 1 2 ; The Tirdly press 1 3 ; The Four device press 1 2 3, the fively device press 1 4 , the sixely device press 1 2 4 .

All this adress is press in device , and put the DMX 512 Cable into the computer , So the computer will controll them .

you try it ."

Last edit: kevininsocal 2015-03-07
  • kevininsocal

Also, although not informative, here is the instruction sheet that came with each flame thrower. Now I just need to figure out what the diameter of "8 rice" is! :)

Here is a link to a quick test I did (without DMX control - just power on/off)
    http://youtu.be/7tUKORsGnuw

Last edit: kevininsocal 2015-03-07
  • Jano Svitok

Jano Svitok - 2015-03-07

It seems that the addressing is done using the usual binary DIP switch.

Note that I've read somewhere that DMX is not appropriate for pyro control since induced line noise may be detected as signal and start the effect at unexpected times. The protocol is too simple for pyro. Perhaps they want to
    try to improve the situation by using two channels, which lower the probability somewhat...

• kevininsocal

Thanks for the input, Jano.

So, do you think the advice I got from the factory about addressing is correct?

i.e. DIP switch settings:
    Device 1: 1
    Device 2: 1 2
    Device 3: 1 3
    Device 4: 1 2 3
    Device 5: 1 4
    Device 6: 1 2 4

That would seem to correspond to addresses 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, and 11, which seems to correlate to the idea of two channels per device.

Re: the appropriateness for pyro...thanks for the info. I would never rely on the DMX to ensure safety. The devices will be placed in a "live fire" area with other fireworks with necessary distance from the audience. They will not be connected to power until the show starts and the area is secure. At that point, they could fire continuously and it wouldn't matter - no one will be near.

-kevin

• Jano Svitok

Jano Svitok - 2015-03-07

That's why I think it's normal addressing but described in overcomplicated terms -- the settings resemble binary and they are 2 channels apart.

I later noticed your first sentence, so I thought that you know what you are doing :) I was just too lazy to edit the last paragraph...