How to define funcs with vars and eval?

• David M. Karr

David M. Karr - 2009-02-16

From what I saw of the snapshots of Qalculate, I assumed that I would have the ability to  interactively enter different arithmetic functions that reference user-defined variables, and then interactively evaluate those functions with different values for those variables. I can't figure out how this works. I browsed through the docs, but I couldn't figure it out from that.

• Nobody/Anonymous

I found out how to do so, but it was not really obvious.

In fact you have to define your function by the menu "Edit > manage functions"

And when you give the expression of your function, don't forget the \ before each unknown.

For example, with f defined as:
      you can't get the value of f(20), it is interpreted as f().20

But if you define f with this expression:
      then you get f(20) easily.

I assumed this limitation has some interess but it seems anti-natural to me, and the most surprisin,g is that with the first expression, you can get the derivate , the extremums, ... I.e. qalculate unterstands the function, but the syntax problem prevents you to get a particular value .

Anyhow qalculate seems a great tool to me, very intuitive most of the time.
      But a tutorial, with a list of simple manipulations explained step by step, could be a very big plus.

I know I can create myself to contribute, but I know this soft for two hours now, so I'm not able yet do create an interesting document.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks