Performance issue when parsing large base64Binary

Help
James
2016-02-10
2016-02-10
  • James

James - 2016-02-10

Hello,

I have been experiencing performance issues when trying uploading large files.

For example, say we have the following schema:

<xsd:complexType name="uploadFileRequest">
    <xsd:sequence>
    <xsd:element name="file" type="xsd:base64Binary" minOccurs="1" maxOccurs="1"/>
    </xsd:sequence>
    </xsd:complexType>

When the file is large, say 7MB, I notice the significant performance issue. I have located the problem to CreateFromDocument() function which is generated by pyxb. It is used to "Parse the given XML and use the document element to create a Python instance".

More specifically, it is the following line in the above method which takes majority of the time to execute:
    saxer.parse(io.BytesIO(xmld))
    where xmld is the xml string that is passed into this function.

However, when I change the type from "xsd:base64Binary" to "xsd:string", read the file into a string and transmit it over the wire, the performance issue simply disappears.

Any ideas and hints why this may happen? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    James

• Peter A. Bigot

Peter A. Bigot - 2016-02-10

PyXB uses the Python standard base64 using the standard_b64decode and standard_b64encode routines. Looking at the PyXB code it appears that module allows representations that are not permitted by the XML schema rule. As PyXB is a validating processor it must check whether the incoming encoded data is a valid XML representation. It does this with a complex regular expression.

In pyxb/binding/datatypes.py in class base64Binary you'll see a code block:

# This is what it costs to try to be a validating processor.
            if cls.__Lexical_re.match(xmlt) is None:
                raise SimpleTypeValueError(cls, xmlt)

Try commenting out that check.

If you'd like a workaround for this to be part of future releases please file an issue on github.

• James

James - 2016-02-10

Thanks Peter! It works perfectly for me, and I have filed an issue on github as well.

Last edit: James 2016-02-10