Menu

redefine directive

Help
Anonymous
2010-02-20
2013-03-06
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2010-02-20

I'm trying to create bindings for an xsd that uses the redefine directive.

as seen on documentation the directive is probably not going to get implemented

why is that ?
    is there an easy workaround to convert the xsd ?

• Peter A. Bigot

Peter A. Bigot - 2010-02-21

The redefine directive is, simply, weird.  It mandates a lazy component construction approach that is inconsistent with generating binding classes that are statically inherited.  My initial review implied redefine would allow a parent class definition to be modified, resulting in a change of behavior in a separately translated child class.

I've read various places that argue that redefine has legitimate use, but for the most part people seem to avoid it, and I haven't encountered a case where it seemed worth supporting.

Google suggests this text from Microsoft on how to work around the lack of support for redefine in SQL Server.

Peter

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2010-02-22

pabigot, thanks for the reply.

Any idea if there is an easy (automated) way to create a 'merged' version of an xsd file that contains the redefined versions of xsd documents or can you propose of a good xsd editor that would ease the procedure (xmlspy or any eclipse plugins available ?) ?

• Peter A. Bigot

Peter A. Bigot - 2010-02-22

Honestly, no; I've never encountered a schema that used redefine in the wild.  I would presume that XMPSpy or Stylus Studio would help, but they're a little too pricey for me; I get along with editix, which isn't particularly featureful.

Peter