pyOgre

2005-07-27
2013-03-08
  • Chris Lewis
    Chris Lewis
    2005-07-27

If this has come up already please excuse my ignorance.  I ran into pyUI2 today and it looks interesting.  From the sounds of it you are trying to make a python GUI system that could work from different renderers.  Have you looked at pyOgre?  pyOgre is a python implementation of Ogre (a very  popular 3D Engine written in C++).  Could pyUI2 run within pyOgre?  Just a thought.

Even if it can't your project looks interesting, keep up the good work!

C

• Bluecat
      Bluecat
      2005-07-27

Hi Chris,

If you have a look at the roadmap page in the documentation section, you'll notice that PyOgre is actually on the drawing boards. I haven't really looked into it yet, but at this stage I don't expect there would be any problem getting PyUI2 to work with PyOgre. Of course it may not be that easy, but what it is? :-)

However, first up, there is still quite a lot to do with PyUI2 in the next release before I think it would be appropriate to work on a pyOgre device. I was thinking of getting that started in version 0.4.

• Chris Lewis
      Chris Lewis
      2005-08-03

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I noticed later after I downloaded your project that your roadmap had pyOgre in it.  pyOgre is very impressive, I'm going forward with it, however my game is going to require a GUI.  It seems the pyOgre team has stumbled on this, it would be great if you could implement this at some point.  Have you downloaded pyOgre?  If not I suggest you give it a shot, its very impressive.  If you could get your GUI working on it I think we would have a powerful python toolkit for serious python game development.

If you want to talk more about this you can email me at:
      colshag (at) gmail.com

Thanks,

C

• Bluecat
      Bluecat
      2005-08-04

Hi Chris,

Yep. I have downloaded PyOgre, but haven't had much of a chance to play with it yet. I spent most of my time over the last few months getting PyUI2 ready for 0.2 before I went on vacation (which I am on at the moment... lucky my hotel has broadband. I probably won't have that much access over the next six weeks.)

Are you involved in pyOgre? If so, probably the best thing considering my current travels, is to get some dialog started here on this forum, or on the mailing list. If there is enough interest I could created a separate forum or list for pyOgre integration discussions.

Let me know what you think.

• Chris Lewis
      Chris Lewis
      2005-08-08

Hi again,

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my messages on your holiday!  I hope you are having a good time.

I'm involved in pyOgre in that I'm going to use it for my game development, but I'm not actively on the pyOgre team.  As my game develops I will certainly contribute to pyOgre as much as I can.  Most likely my contributions will be in the form of testing the features of pyOgre.

I think the guys involved with pyOgre are also on vacation , as they have not been responsive since around June.

I guess when you get back to business, take a look at pyOgre, I really think your GUI system using pyOgre would be an excellent combination.

Have you considered game development?  Just wondering... :)

Have a good vacation.

C