SourceForge has been redesigned. Learn more.
Close

PythonCAD documentation gap

2010-08-04
2013-03-17
  • Pietro Moras

Pietro Moras - 2010-08-04

Dear Sir,
       From a PythonCAD developer I heard that “There is great amount of gap in the PythonCAD documentation and actual performance”. Well, I'd be glad to offer my support so to reduce this gap, would you like to accept it.

Just give me a contact person to get in touch with, and I'd be glad to help.

About my motivation:
       Both as a Designer, ordinary User, and Technical Writer of High Tech products (mainly: s/w products—Last work published: URL: http://www.datacad.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?key=D4DM-1200&preadd=action) I've realized how crucial is a fair correspondence between Technical Documentation and actual performance.

So that now, enjoying the lucky freedom of doing it, I'd love to offer the following opportunity, out of any strict commercial logic, just for the “fun” of it:
       I'll be glad, and honored, to professionally test and verify the correspondence between what a product really is vs. what its current Technical Documentation says. And write a consequent Technical Report, or Technical Draft, to the benefit of whoever would bother to know. Sort of quiet and accurate (Beta-)Testing, followed by a Technical Writing/Reporting process, in fair collaboration with the product designer/manager. Thanks.
    See you.
    Pietro Moras

• Matteo Boscolo

Matteo Boscolo - 2010-08-09

Ho Pietro,

Thanks, for your offer.
    I'm very happy to have you on board in pythoncad project.

I' Will add you as part of the team, so you can start to play with the system that we already have.

Actually all our documentation is stored in the wiki page http://pythoncad.sourceforge.net/dokuwiki/doku.php.

Please use the developer mailing list  for any help or info you need ..

Regards,
    Matteo

• Pietro Moras

Pietro Moras - 2010-08-10

Thanks Matteo,

happy to have you on board

Happy to be on board, and eager to become acquainted with team & project. First.
    Then, possibly, to become useful…

See you.
    Pietro Moras

• Pietro Moras

Matteo,

Please use the developer mailing list  for any help or info you need ..

Where/how, exactly? Thanks.
    - P.M.

• Pietro Moras

Sorry Matteo,
       I'm not sure of having understood what to do. Anyhow here is my:

Declaration of Intent
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
       In joining the PythonCAD team I consider useful, and fair, to declare in advance what's my intent in doing it. So to, possibly, receive your approval, support, encouragement, advice and criticism.

My motivation
    - - - - - - - - - - -
       Both as a Designer, ordinary User, and Technical Writer of High Tech products (mainly: s/w products—Last work published: URL: http://www.datacad.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?key=D4DM-1200&preadd=action) I've realized how crucial is a fair correspondence between Technical Documentation and actual performance.

So that now, enjoying the lucky freedom of doing it out of any strict commercial logic, I'll be glad, and honored, to professionally test and verify the correspondence between what this product really is vs. what its Technical Documentation says. And write a consequent Technical Report, or Technical Draft, to the benefit of whoever would bother to know. Sort of quiet and accurate (Beta-)Testing, followed by a Technical Writing/Reporting process, in fair collaboration with the product development team.

Actions
    - - - - - -
       I intend to operate as an ordinary Mr. User, exploring the whole process he must undergo to reach a satisfactory productivity, starting from scratch. In doing so I intend:
    - To collect and document (i.e.: write) all involved information;
    - To annotate and signal possible inconveniences, flaws and bugs encountered;
    - To utilize the acquired expertise to the benefit of the User Support activity, in general.
    All that under a tutor's supervision that I kindly solicit, so to be helped in minimizing my possible (or inevitable…) shortcomings.

As you see, it's rather an ambitious, challenging goal. Certainly requiring not short a time, and a great deal of collaboration, especially at the beginning. That is: now.
    Thank you.
    - P.M.

• Matteo Boscolo

Matteo Boscolo - 2010-08-10

Hi Pietro,
    I've understood what is your intention.
    You look very professional and I would like to help you as more as possible.
    I' Think that for this project there is a lack in documantation .. so your proposal is very interesting.
    At the moment, as you can see from the commitment in git repository, I'm the only active developer on the project and I'm developing the new version R38 that is rewritten from the begining.
    So all the old documentation that you can find in the wiki pages are wrong .. the only up to date page is the
    http://pythoncad.sourceforge.net/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=r38_roadmap that I try to take updated.

So You can do what you want, you can do your best ..to help me make this product the best open source 2d Cad.

If you want to start writing something that we can discuss you can edit the wiki pages as you wish .. those are free for editing

Regards,
    Matteo

• Pietro Moras

Pietro Moras - 2010-08-11

P-CAD Subjects
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    It's my desire to work in team, so that I start submitting this initial Subject:

S100811)
       What do you think is the best way/the best “place” where to discuss Subjects of common interest related with PythonCAD?
    I remember you citing “Mailing List PythonCAD-developer”, but there I've no write permission, so I got a little confused…

Now, just let me know where/how, and then I'll be pleased to “meet” PythonCAD fellows there. Thank you.
    All the best.
    - P.M.

• Matteo Boscolo

Matteo Boscolo - 2010-08-11

send an e mail at pythoncad-developer@lists.sourceforge.net I will add you at the mailing list

or

send me an e mail with your email address I will provide to add you at the mailing list

my eMail is matteo.boscolo@boscolini.eu

Regards,
    Matteo