Menu

After compiling PyRx-0.9-source without warnings or errors runPyRx generates error.

Steve
2018-07-19
2018-07-23
  • Steve

Steve - 2018-07-19

I folowed the instructiohs on the PyERx web site for compiling the source code without generating any warning or error messages. (Debian Stretch)

An attempt to run PyRx generated the followig:

root@AbNormal:/home/comp/Downloads/PyRx/PyRx-0.9-Source# ./runPyRx.py
    No module named mglutil.util.packageFilePath
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "./runPyRx.py", line 98, in <module>
    dlg = wx.lib.dialogs.ScrolledMessageDialog(None, msg, "Error starting PyRx")
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/wx-3.0-gtk2/wx/lib/dialogs.py", line 32, in init
    wx.Dialog.init(self, parent, -1, caption, pos, size, style)
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/wx-3.0-gtk2/wx/windows.py", line 734, in init
    _windows
    .Dialog_swiginit(self,windows.new_Dialog(args, *kwargs))
    wx._core.PyNoAppError: The wx.App object must be created first!

A solution would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

• Sarkis Dallakian

I see it's missing MGLTools package that provides mglutil. I haven't tested PyRx with wx-3.0. The binaries are shipped with wx-2.8.

Good luck.

• Steve

Steve - 2018-07-20

Thanks for your reply.

MGLTools is installed in /home/comp/Apps/MGLTools-1.5.7rc1.

I also have /home/comp/Apps/MGLTools2-1.1.

• Steve

Steve - 2018-07-21

I got to qondering if my installation or MGLTools in /home/comp/Apps/MGLTools-1.5.7rc1 might be the problem.

I removed MGLTools from /home/comp/Apps and installed it, as root, in the default location. Unfortunately, that didn't seem to make a difference Here is the run log:.

comp@AbNormal:~/Downloads/PyRx/PyRx-0.9-Source$ ./runPyRx.py
    No module named mglutil.util.packageFilePath
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "./runPyRx.py", line 98, in <module>
    dlg = wx.lib.dialogs.ScrolledMessageDialog(None, msg, "Error starting PyRx")
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/wx-3.0-gtk2/wx/lib/dialogs.py", line 32, in init
    wx.Dialog.init(self, parent, -1, caption, pos, size, style)
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/wx-3.0-gtk2/wx/windows.py", line 734, in init
    _windows
    .Dialog_swiginit(self,windows.new_Dialog(args, *kwargs))
    wx._core.PyNoAppError: The wx.App object must be created first!

• Sarkis Dallakian

You'll need to hire a Python developer to help with this. ./runPyRx.py is looking for module named mglutil.util.packageFilePath. You system's Python doesn't know where MGLTools is installed unless you tell it through sys.path or $PYTHONPATH.

It might take a week for an experienced Python developer to build PyRx from source. No one ever did that in the wild and live to tell about it except me, as far as I know.

• Steve

Steve - 2018-07-23

I have to say that this was a rather disappointing response. I had expected better from the author of the software.