parsing arithmetic expressions with log, exp

Anonymous
2012-06-19
2013-05-14
  • Anonymous - 2012-06-19

I have wrote the following piece of code to parse arithmetic expressions containing logarithms and exponentials like;

(log2(exp10(x)+log10(x)-y)/expe(y)^(log2(exp10(x)+log10(x)-y)/expe(y)))^log2(exp10(x)+log10(x)-y)/expe(y)^(log2(exp10(x)+log10(x)-y)/expe(z))
    log(x+exp(y)/z)*x+4
    log(x)+log(y)/exp(z)
    log(log(exp(x)))/exp(log(x))
    x+y-z
    x+log(y)-exp(z)
    x+y-log(z)

arith_expr = pp.Forward()
        powop = pp.oneOf("^")
        divop = pp.oneOf("/ * %")
        addop = pp.oneOf("+ -")
        exp_funcs = (pp.Keyword("log10") | pp.Keyword("loge") | pp.Keyword("log") |
                        pp.Keyword("log2") | pp.Keyword("exp10") | pp.Keyword("exp") |
                        pp.Keyword("expe") | pp.Keyword("exp2"))
        operand = Common.indexed_field | Common.fnumber

func_atom = operand ^ (exp_funcs + "(" + arith_expr + ")")
        comp_expr = pp.operatorPrecedence(func_atom, [
                                            (powop, 2, pp.opAssoc.LEFT),
                                            (divop, 2, pp.opAssoc.LEFT),
                                            (addop, 2, pp.opAssoc.LEFT)])

arith_expr << comp_expr

return arith_expr

but the grammar validation time is substantially large and as the arithmetic expression grows in size, time to parse the expression also grows exponentially. Any help would be appreciated. :)

• Anonymous - 2012-06-19

I think the situation is described http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parsing_expression_grammar#Implementing_parsers_from_parsing_expression_grammars.
    I wasn't sure how you had defined Common, so I made mine simply match any letter or number, which is enough for the examples you gave.

operand = pp.oneOf([i for i in pp.alphanums]) # Common.indexed_field | Common.fnumber

I confirmed the dramatic increase in processing time.
    The Wikipedia article says that using a packrat parser can trade time for space, and pyparsing does support packrat parsing. I haven't experimented with it much, so I just added "arith_expr.enablePackrat()" to the end.

arith_expr << comp_expr 
    arith_expr.enablePackrat()
    return arith_expr

Unfortunately, when I tried arith_expr.parseString("x+y+z") or even something simpler, after enabling packrat parsing, it raised an exception with about a 500 line traceback.

I'm sorry that doesn't help you, and doesn't give any insight into the reason pyparsing crashed with packrat enabled.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks