getting panel on all desktops under xfce?

2004-09-14
2013-04-15
  • Craig Allen

Craig Allen - 2004-09-14

When I run pypanel under xfce, pypanel only shows up on the desktop I was on when I started pypanel.

Is this "normal"? Is this because I started pypanel manually instead of putting it in my .xinitrc?

Is there any way to get in on all desktops?

Thanks!

• Jon Gelo

Jon Gelo - 2004-09-16

XFCE's window manager (XFWM4) didn't play nice with the _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_DOCK  hint that pypanel uses.

I've added in a special case for XFWM4 to ensure it appears on all desktops and also to properly handle minimization.

These fixes will be included in the next release which will be out very soon, hopefully before the end of this month.

• Anonymous - 2005-04-09

I downloaded and installed the latest pypanel (2.2) but get the same problem with xfce 4.2 -- I get pypanel only on one desktop. Is there a fix?

• Jon Gelo

Jon Gelo - 2005-04-10

I took out all the 'special case' handling code in 2.2 but it looks like XFWM4 still has issues with _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_DOCK.  To get around it, comment out the code that sets the pypanel DOCK property in the setProps method -

win.change_property(dsp.intern_atom("_NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE"), Xatom.ATOM, 32, [dsp.intern_atom("_NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_DOCK")])

• Anonymous - 2005-04-10

Thanks, that fixed the problem. Also, is there a way to display all the desktops and highlight the current one, in a similar fashion as with applications?

• Jon Gelo

Jon Gelo - 2005-04-11

Unfortunately, there's no way to do that right now.  At some point I would like to try and add some type of pager though ..

I have seen screenshots where folks use a standalone pager (eg. fbpager) and place it up next to pypanel.  That may be a solution for you?

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks