Log file maintenance

Bob Dylan
2009-05-10
2013-05-28
  • Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan - 2009-05-10

I have a couple of questions.

I'm a bit confused about what happens to the log file, now that there is only one log file as stated in the wiki. Are the settings in the "log maintenance settings" section still valid? Ie. "max log age", "check age interval" and "log rotation interval".

Does the log file just keep growing and growing? Does it get refreshed when it gets emailed? What would happen if it were to go over the attachment limit when it tried to email it / would it freeze?

The reason i'm asking is that i'm using a patch that makes it generate a lot more data and will go over 10MB pretty soon.

:)

• nanotube

nanotube - 2009-05-10

Hi,

Indeed, the log gets "rotated" in the usual unix sense (old log data gets renamed, and logfile starts from fresh)

so yes, all those settings are still valid.

note also that gmail attachment limit is 20mb, not 10mb. :) but at any rate, whatever rate your logs grow at, all you need to do is set the log email interval to be short enough, set log rotation to something short enough that one file doesn't ever grow to larger than your target size, and set max log age to something longer than the email interval.

log email is also smart enough that it won't email you the same file twice.

by the way, i'm curious what code you're using that generates so much data? (i'm guessing it's not the click-area images that you're talking about?)

• Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan - 2009-12-10

Cool, thanks for the heads up!

This is a great proggy btw, keep up the good work.

I would like to tell you why it creates so much data, but i'm afraid i'd have to kill you.

• nanotube

nanotube - 2009-12-10

Heh thanks :)

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks