The application name

2003-07-11
2003-07-15
  • Andriy Palamarchuk

Gary,
      I suggest to remove mention about Python from the user-visible text. PyGE is not a developer tool or library, so user does not need to know what language was used to create it. This may only confuse them.

Microsoft C/C++/VB Office sounds funny :-)

However if Python is removed the application needs to have other distictive name to differ from the project Gutenberg itself.

What do you think?
    Andriy

• Gary Shao

Gary Shao - 2003-07-14

You'll have to excuse me while I put on my Python evangelist hat :-). Python as a language has a relatively low recognition factor among non-developers, so I don't think it is that much of a confusion factor for many users. Among those people who actually recognize what Python is, it should bring to mind the ideas of platform-independence and object-oriented programming, among others. Being an open-source project, attracting people who are interested in such things enough to make contributions is highly desirable. Having Python in the name  is a potential lure for certain developers, and a turnoff for others.

I would be glad to take any suggestions on alternative project names. Keep in mind that the current set of applications may be expanded in the future. One area I'm looking into now is how to help support the creation of new e-texts by efforts like  the Distributed Proofreaders project.

--Gary

• Andriy Palamarchuk

> Python as a language has a relatively low
      > recognition factor among non-developers,

I would argue that users don't need to recognize it at all ;-)

> I don't think it is that much of a confusion factor for
      > many users.

This name will definitely bring in user's heads image of a big snake. "Snake Gutenberg" sounds not very helpful.

> Having Python in the name is a potential lure for
      > certain developers, and a turnoff for others.

As I already mentioned the project does not need to attract developers on the base of technical merits - it is user-oriented. People won't contribute because it is writted in Python, they will contribute because the application is popular and they will want to improve it.

Python is a simple and powerful language, so anybody can help to improve the app, not only "certain" devalopers.

> I would be glad to take any suggestions on
      > alternative project names.

I don't have good name right now. From top of my had:

- Gutenberg Toolbox
      - Gutenberg PowerTools - funny if you recall who Gutenberg was :-)
      - Gutenberg Publisher (or PYblisher)
      - Gutenberg Helper

Andriy

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks