Installing PyEPL on Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4

Help
le110
2012-08-28
2013-05-28
  • le110

le110 - 2012-08-28

Hi,

I can't seem to get PyEPL to work. I read at another forum the default python that Mac OS X ships with may not work well. So i tried installing "Active Python 2.7" and reinstalled PyEPL but still it doesn't seem to work. I get the following error when i run the sample program hw.py:
    File "/Users/is/Downloads/pyepl_sample_code-1.0.9/hw2.py", line 4, in <module>
        from pyepl.locals import *
    ImportError: No module named pyepl.locals

Am I doing something wrong here? Any suggestions

PS: Beware Newbie at work here!!!

• Matt Mollison

Matt Mollison - 2012-08-28

It sounds like you ran the Mac OS mpkg installer. This installer should give you the MacPorts version of Python 2.6 (puts it in /opt/local/bin/, and when I type "python -version" I get 2.6.6). When you run the sample program or your experiment you might need to specify python2.6 rather than just python because it might be trying to use 2.7.

• le110

le110 - 2012-08-28

Thank you so much for replying!!!
    There does seem to be some progress
    I see that I have both 2.6 and 2.7. Executing the command "python -version" through the terminal returned "Python 2.6.6".
    And when I execute the script now (using 2.6) I see the following error:

/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages/pyepl/base.py:123: DeprecationWarning: object.__new__() takes no parameters
      self = object.__new__(cls, *targs, **dargs)
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "hw.py", line 11, in <module>
        video = VideoTrack("video")
      File "/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages/pyepl/display.py", line 1340, in __init__
        textlog.LogTrack.__init__(self, basename, archive, autoStart)
      File "/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages/pyepl/textlog.py", line 33, in __init__
        raise EPLFatalError("Log cannot be created without a subject archive.  An archive must either be passed as 2nd argument to constructor, or be a non-null referent of exputils.session.")
    pyepl.exceptions.EPLFatalError: EPL FATAL ERROR: Log cannot be created without a subject archive.  An archive must either be passed as 2nd argument to constructor, or be a non-null referent of exputils.session.
    Exception AttributeError: "'VideoTrack' object has no attribute 'logall'" in <bound method VideoTrack.__del__ of <pyepl.display.VideoTrack object at 0x102f7e290>> ignored

What are your thoughts??

• Matt Mollison

Matt Mollison - 2012-08-28

You didn't specify a subject name/number. If you run "python2.6 hw.py -s SUB001" then it will work. The text following -s (or you can use -subject) specifies the subject name/number.

You should go through the user's manual, available as a PDF on the main site in the Documentation section: http://pyepl.sourceforge.net

• le110

le110 - 2012-08-28

DUH!!!
    I read about it last week but then totally forgot…Thanks a ton! You rock!

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks