using PyDev on differen file extensions

2006-05-31
2013-03-15
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Hi,

I'm currently trying to use PyDev with project files that have a different file extension than ".py". However, while syntax highlighting does very well I can't get the "Tasks"-feature working. Inserting i.e. a TODO task doesn't show in the task panel. Any ideas how to configure this?

thanks and regards,
    micha

• Fabio Zadrozny

Fabio Zadrozny - 2006-05-31

Well, pydev should work with .py and .pyw extensions... Which extension are you using?

I believe those are hard-coded, but if you have enough requirements and a good justification, you can submit a feature-request so that this is configurable...

Cheers,

Fabio

• Nobody/Anonymous

Well, here we go again.

Did a little research through your code. The .py and .pyw extensions are hardcoded into org.python.pydev.editor.codecompletion.revisited.PythonPathHelper.isValidSourceFile(...)-method.

I'm currently not deep enough into the eclipse framework, but is it a logical thing to identify a valid source file as a file that is edited with the python editor, isn't it? So you maybe like to ask for the file-extensions that are associated with the python editor and compare them to the file extension of the files in the project.

Please let me know if you could do it within a quick hack or whether I should try to take a deeper look into the eclipse framework to get this more flexible to the user. My mail is michag78[at]arcor[dot]de.

thanks and regards,
      michael

• Fabio Zadrozny

Fabio Zadrozny - 2006-06-08

Well, I think that checking for valid source files as files that are identified as being edited with the python editor would be a good thing. So, if you submit a patch for it, I would have no problems adding it (if you do the proper listening for when those files are changed and do the proper caching so that this does not become something slow, as checking for that is something pretty common).

Cheers,

Fabio

• Mike Currie

Mike Currie - 2006-06-14

What would be nice if when you right click a file the PyDev editor was an option under the Open With command.

• Fabio Zadrozny

Fabio Zadrozny - 2006-06-18

It does it if you register that extension before in the preferences: window > preferences > general > editors > file associations.

Cheers,

Fabio

• Nobody/Anonymous

i am writing *.cgi scipts in python and have same problem, with "window > preferences > general > editors > file associations." can man activate color suport for
      python syntax, but Code Completion not working with other files as .py

Need Help too.
      Sergei