no PyDev perspective in PyDev install on OSX

2011-08-07
2013-03-15
  • Randy Jones

Randy Jones - 2011-08-07

I've installed PyDev (tried latest 1.6, latest 2.2 separately) in OSX 10.6.8, Eclipse Helios SR2.  Eclipse is installed (unzipped) in /Applications.
    Once the PyDev install completes and eclipse is restarted, PyDev is not available in Window->Open Perspective and not available in Preferences.  I seems like it has not been installed at all.  I've tried installing through Help->Install New Software and downloading and unzipping directly.  I have verified that the PyDev features and plugins directories are in /Applications/eclipse/features and plugins.

• Randy Jones

Randy Jones - 2011-08-07

I realized I was running the 64-bit version of Helios so I downloaded 32-bit Helios, unzipped it into /Applications (moving old one out first) and have the same result.  After installing PyDev, it doesn't show up in eclipse, even though its files were installed.  I tried the same install with 32-bit Indigo, same result, no PyDev perspective.

I can't believe I'm the only person this has ever happened to.   Thanks!

• Fabio Zadrozny

Fabio Zadrozny - 2011-08-11

I'm not sure what may be happening… (seems like a permission issue for me, but I may be wrong).

Do you have something in your error log? Is PyDev under the eclipse/plugins? If you still cannot make it work, maybe a solution would be getting Aptana Studio 3 (where PyDev is pre-installed) - you can get the standalone version from: http://aptana.com/products/studio3/download

Cheers,

Fabio

• Anonymous - 2011-08-24

I also had this problem.
    I eventually just downloaded the zip folder, unzipped and installed in the dropins folder.

Mac OSX 10.6.8

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks