Strange problem with code completion on Linux

2007-06-14
2013-03-15
  • Ville-Pekka Vainio

Hi,

I'm developing MoinMoin on PyDev (using Linux) and I'm having strange problems with code completion.

If I don't choose to create the "src" folder and add it to the pythonpath, code completion won't work fully when working on Moin code. I have tried setting Moin's source code folder as the Project source folder in Project Preferences, but it doesn't help.

So far I've come up with this workaround: let PyDev create "src" by default and then copy the Moin code to that folder. Then everything works as it should. But the point here is that I shouldn't have to create this "src" folder if I don't want it. Code completion should work from any folder you set as a source folder.

Other than this problem I really like PyDev and I'm considering buying Extensions, thanks for your work!

• Fabio Zadrozny

Fabio Zadrozny - 2007-06-14

The src folder is simply the folder that it will consider in your pythonpath, so, you may not use it, but you still need to configure the folder that should be in the pythonpath... (when using the src folder, pydev just does that automatically for you).

So, can you double-check that attempt of adding the project source folder again? You can see http://fabioz.com/pydev/manual_101_project_conf2.html for details on that.

If that still does not work, it may be a bug... so, check your error and see if you find anything useful there.

Cheers,

Fabio

• Ville-Pekka Vainio

I just did a quick test like this:

1. Add a new PyDev project without "src"
      2. Copy Moin's source code into the project folder
      3. Refresh project
      4. Add the folder MoinMoin which contains the Python code to PYTHONPATH via project properties
      5. Test code completion, again shows much less items than if the whole Moin source tree is under the default "src"

I think this is a bug... I should probably mention that I'm using Fedora Core 6 with something called "Fedora Eclipse", I think it's running under GCJ. Maybe someone could test this with an other distribution?

• Fabio Zadrozny

Fabio Zadrozny - 2007-06-17

Humm... I've had some reports complaining about gcj... can you try it with another vm?

Also, can you say which imports are missing so that I can check it here?

• Ville-Pekka Vainio

I just wanted to let you know that I haven't forgotten about this, but now that I have a working dev environment, I need to get some work done first ;)

I'll try to test it more next week and give you some details then.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks