0.8.0 raw_input one more byte

• hejta

hejta - 2005-01-11

When I use a = raw_input in python program, variable a has one more byte (\r)  with pydev, with external python no this one more byte.

• Fabio Zadrozny

Fabio Zadrozny - 2005-01-24

nothing to do about it - carriage return (or \r) may or may not be feed after a new line depending on system, shell, etc.

• donarin

donarin - 2005-01-29

I think, the second part of the answer is correct.
      But not the first part.

Python must go in the direction, that your program is working correct without knowing the OS it is running on.
      Using raw_input - it gives a string. You must be able to convert this string into another type, as int(<string>) should do.

For this reason, a CR  added to the string is an error.

This is my point of veiw

• Fabio Zadrozny

Fabio Zadrozny - 2005-01-31

Hi Donarin,

Well, I think I agree with you too... But anyway, right now I don't know how to do it... I was trying to integrate IPython to pydev, and it seems to get completely lost when ran inside of the eclipse console view (I think it is because of the same problem you're facing).

Anyway, right now I only have the problem and no solution... I already searched the eclipse docs and could not find anything useful, so I'm thinking it may be easier to deal with IPython itself instead of trying to find a solution inside of the eclipse console API... (as you see, I'm as stuck as you in this one)

• donarin

donarin - 2005-02-01

Thanks Fabio,

and good luck for your work.
      I am very interested to have a good Python plugin in Eclipse, while I am using Python for more projects and Eclipse is my favorite development tool at the moment for the projects in other languages.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks