Menu

Engraving offseet

Help
kato
2011-09-15
2013-03-08
  • kato

kato - 2011-09-15

Hello, just getting started with PyCAM. I have an engraving to do from an SVG source. I'm working in inches. My end mill is 0.015". The offset field won't take more than 2 places to the right of the decimal point. That might be fine for millimeters, but not inches. Is there some setting somewhere to give me 4 places to the right of the decimal? Thanks.

• Lars

Lars - 2011-09-23

Hi dastultz,

you are right: I defined the controls from the point of view of the metric system. These limitations are already fixed for the next release.
    You can manually adjust the number of digits in the file "share/ui/pycam-project.ui". Just look for the word "EngraveOffsetControl" - it should be around line 2875. The property "digits" contains the limit to be fixed …

hope this helps,
    Lars

• kato

kato - 2011-10-09

Thanks Lar, good to see it's so easily configured. When I run with an offset of 0.0, all is good. When I use 0.007 all is good. When I use 0.00750 I get the following exception:

An unexpected exception occoured: please send the text below to the developers of PyCAM. Thanks a lot!
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/Users/daryl/Downloads/pycam-0.5.1/src/pycam/Gui/Project.py", line 4041, in generate_toolpath
        self.model, toolpath_settings, callback=draw_callback)
      File "/Users/daryl/Downloads/pycam-0.5.1/src/pycam/Toolpath/Generator.py", line 62, in generate_toolpath_from_settings
        backend, callback)
      File "/Users/daryl/Downloads/pycam-0.5.1/src/pycam/Toolpath/Generator.py", line 226, in generate_toolpath
        callback=callback)
      File "/Users/daryl/Downloads/pycam-0.5.1/src/pycam/Geometry/Model.py", line 683, in get_offset_model
        new_groups = group.get_offset_polygons(offset, callback=callback)
      File "/Users/daryl/Downloads/pycam-0.5.1/src/pycam/Geometry/Polygon.py", line 982, in get_offset_polygons
        group.append(line)
      File "/Users/daryl/Downloads/pycam-0.5.1/src/pycam/Geometry/Polygon.py", line 238, in append
        + "polygon")
    ValueError: A line with zero length may not be part of a polygon

• RichardP

RichardP - 2011-10-10

Lars,

I also have had some issues with engraving and offsets.

When I make a small change to a very simple DXF file (an H shape on a square) by adding a second bar to the H, I get the following message when trying to use an offset. I have both versions of the file and they are very small if you want to replicate the error.

Richard

An unexpected exception occoured: please send the text below to the developers of PyCAM. Thanks a lot!
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "pyinstaller\build\pyi.win32\pycam\outPYZ5.pyz/pycam.Gui.Project", line 4041, in generate_toolpath
      File "pyinstaller\build\pyi.win32\pycam\outPYZ5.pyz/pycam.Toolpath.Generator", line 62, in generate_toolpath_from_settings
      File "pyinstaller\build\pyi.win32\pycam\outPYZ5.pyz/pycam.Toolpath.Generator", line 226, in generate_toolpath
      File "pyinstaller\build\pyi.win32\pycam\outPYZ5.pyz/pycam.Geometry.Model", line 683, in get_offset_model
      File "pyinstaller\build\pyi.win32\pycam\outPYZ5.pyz/pycam.Geometry.Polygon", line 965, in get_offset_polygons
      File "pyinstaller\build\pyi.win32\pycam\outPYZ5.pyz/pycam.Geometry.Polygon", line 911, in simplify_polygon_intersections
    IndexError: list index out of range

• RichardP

RichardP - 2011-10-11

Lars,

Me again.

I just discovered that the application I was using (Corel Draw) was generating poor DXF files. The problem went away when I gave PyCam some nice clean CAD files to work with.

Richard

• Lars

Lars - 2011-11-17

Hi Richard,

I am glad to hear that you solved the problem by using a different CAD software.
    Sadly PyCAM's offsetting code is currently quite simple and it is not as stable as it should be.

cheers,
    Lars