Pycam Return to origin & Tool Placement

Help
retnev
2019-01-27
2019-01-27
  • retnev

retnev - 2019-01-27

I have two issues setting up Pycam.

1) The tool doesnt return to original position (where it started from after completion of a routine.
    I can enter this in GCODE manually, but just wonder why this was left out as it is obvious that you dont want to start from a new position and what the tool to return to exactly where it started.
    2) I always place the tool on the workpiece and whe the program executes it lifts by a certain prescribed amount and then does the milling and return to that same place on the workpiece. This makes setup a breeze.
    3) Pycam unfortunately starts somewhere in the airat a point of no reference that can be set. The workpiece surface is the best reference. I can enter this in GCODE after pycam created the code, but it is really necessary for Pycam to be able to work with a reference point on the workpiece surface or workpiece substrate.

Thanks

Last edit: retnev 2019-01-27
  • Lars

Lars - 2019-01-27

1) I am not aware of a good approach for doing this in the GCode language. At least for LinuxCNC (http://www.linuxcnc.org/docs/html/gcode/g-code.html) it would work with G28 and G30. But this could conflict with a local usage of these positional registers (e.g. for a tool changer). Additionally I am not sure, if other GCode interpreters offer these commands, as well. Can you share a GCode file that exposes the behaviour that you desire?

2) I am used to position the tool at the surface of the stock piece in the desired position. Then I shift the coordinate system of my machining software (linuxcnc) to that position (available with one click). Your approach seems to use only relative moves (instead of pycam's absolute positions). The same here: can you share a gcode file?