Menu

box o tron for cnc milling

Anonymous
2012-02-18
2013-03-08
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2012-02-18

Hi all, I've derived from the original boxotron to make one suitable for cnc milling and pycam!
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:17750

After you make the box file you can open in inkscape, add some holes for buttons/knobs etc, then copy paste to pycam. The red outlines are not fully opaque so they don't copy across.

Matt

• Lars

Lars - 2012-02-20

Hi Matt,

parametric modelling is always a great fun!

Your red half-transparent lines are a nice trick to work with PyCAM's input filter!
    Regarding the copy/paste: I guess you used this a workaround to force PyCAM to load the complete model? Alternatively you could also just increase the sheet dimension of the SVG model.

In case you care about a pythonic code-style maybe you would want to take a look at PEP-8: wildcard imports - like with SVG in boxotron.py - always scare me a bit … :)

Did you already stumble upon other approaches for parametric modeling? The following ones come to my mind:
    - OpenSCAD - less suitable for 2D; only DXF output
    - Cadmium - based on Python, but lacking updates recently
    - ImplicitCAD - awesome! Don't get scared away by the haskell notation - it is quite simple …

It is great that there are so many interesting ways to shape a little cube :)

cheers,
    Lars