here's a patch to make a debian package

2010-03-18
2013-03-08
  • Lars

Lars - 2010-03-19

Hi Sebastian,

thanks a lot for your effort!

I took a quick look at your patch and the following things came to my mind:

1) since v0.2.2 (released yesterday) there is a usable distutils "setup.py" script included. I guess, it would be a good approach to use it for "building" (I know - it is merely just copying files …). This was surely an unfortunate timing, as v0.2.1 did not contain a usable build script yet.

2) I would like to include a menu starter description (pycam.desktop file) to the package. Do you think, you would want to add this as well?

3) the package requirements (python-gtk2, python-gtkglext1, python-opengl) and the recommendation (python-ode) were not automatically detected via the "${python:Depends}" tag. I am not sure, if this is an issue of some package detail or if the requirements need to be listed manually.

4) I think, the start script ("pycam_start.sh") is missing

Sorry for this detailed nitpicking :)
    If you are interested in working on some of the above details, then I would be very happy! Otherwise I will just add your current state and improve it later. What do you think?

Anyway: thanks again for your work!

cheers,
    Lars

• Sebastian Kuzminsky

Hi Lars, your message helped me realize I made a really stupid mistake.  I just pulled the part of the pycam repo that heekscad uses - just the trunk/pycam directory.  I didn't realize there's a bunch more stuff next to it in trunk….  Sorry for the noise.  :-(

Don't add my totally broken patch, I'll go pull the *whole* repo and try again!  And I'll try to incorporate your helpful suggestions.

Back in a bit…

• Sebastian Kuzminsky

Ok, let's try this again.

Here's the patch: http://highlab.com/~seb/pycam-package-fixed.patch

Here's the prebuilt package: http://highlab.com/~seb/heeks/pycam_0.2.2_all.deb

This uses setup.py to install everything into the debian package.  It's got the correct dependencies.  It installs pycam_start.py as /usr/bin/pycam.

Here's a screencap:

Give it a whirl!

• Lars

Lars - 2010-03-20

Hi Sebastian,

thanks for your work!

I improved some parts of your packaging files, switched to the cdbs pysupport helpers, added a menu item and a manpage.
    The changes are commited to svn. Please try the result!

thanks for your contribution!

cheers,
    Lars

• Sebastian Kuzminsky

Nice, I like the manpage.

The package builds and installs, but there are some lintian warnings:

0 seb@water /home/seb/heeks>  lintian python-pycam_0.2.2-1_all.deb 
    W: python-pycam: binary-without-manpage usr/bin/pycamGUI
    W: python-pycam: extra-license-file usr/share/doc/python-pycam/COPYING.TXT.gz
    W: python-pycam: package-contains-upstream-install-documentation usr/share/doc/python-pycam/INSTALL.TXT.gz
    W: python-pycam: extra-license-file usr/share/doc/python-pycam/LICENSE.TXT
    W: python-pycam: readme-debian-contains-debmake-template
    W: python-pycam: desktop-command-not-in-package /usr/share/applications/pycam.desktop pycam_start.py
    W: python-pycam: new-package-should-close-itp-bug

I verified the desktop command is real, I can not start pycam by clicking through the Applications menu on my desktop.  The one manpage warning is because the manpage calls the program "PyCAM", but the program (and the manpage) are named pycamGUI.

I'd be happy to try to fix these issues if you grant me commit access, or I can send you patches.

• Lars

Lars - 2010-03-21

thanks for your patches!
    I committed them to svn as r265..267.
    If you continue to show interest in contributing to pycam, then we will gladly grant svn write access to ease your work!

• Jelle At Protospace

What ever happened to these? Are the latest releases still available as a package, or do I have to build it myself from sources?

• Lars

Lars - 2011-05-27

Hi Jelle,

the required Debian configuration files are available and should work well.
    You just need to extract the tarball, export the debian directory from SVN (svn export https://pycam.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/pycam/trunk/debian) and build the package with "dpkg-buildpackage".

Anyway: since PyCAM runs purely in Python, it does not need to be build. Just run it in place …

Following the next release I will definitely put some more effort into the preparation of a clean Debian package and - of course - I will try to find a willing maintainer/sponsor for a potential upload to the Debian repositories.

cheers,
    Lars