Menu

Using ProjectM with projectors

Help
2017-10-08
2017-10-08
  • Chris Wilkinson

Chris Wilkinson - 2017-10-08

Hi there, I've installed ProjectM on KXStudio (an Ubuntu derivative) - its working perfectly. I wish to project the visualizer through haze to light my band and the dancefloor at gigs we play. Most of the existing effects are too jittery and manic, and sometimes have a white background, they don't project very well - we're a covers band that play easy listening through to rock and funk for slightly older audiences, so I'm looking for help in learning how to create less manic more colorful effects with simple geometry or drawing primitives that react gently to the drums, with black backgrounds only - I'll create a few playlists for quieter or louder brackets or crowds. Can anyone point me to a resource to figure out creating my own effects, or a resource that has downloadable ones categorised so I can pickand choose suitable ones?

Regards,

Chris W, New Zealand.

• amoe

amoe - 2017-10-08

Hi Chris. The presets are written using the Milkdrop preset language. As you've seen, many presets are included. You can write your own -- there are many guides available on the internet, some from quite some time ago. Search for "milkdrop preset authoring guide". The actual development of presets will need a bit of experimentation, you can look at the existing presets for some examples. It's pretty simple to make a basic preset that reacts to the music.

• Chris Wilkinson

Chris Wilkinson - 2017-10-08

Thanks amoe, I'll read some Milkdrop guides and experiment using the included presets as a template for making some new ones suited more to the "oldies" that we typically play for. :)