Menu

When is the Mac Release coming?

2008-07-06
2015-11-01
  • pinkpanther21

pinkpanther21 - 2008-07-06

Hi,

I've been excited about the mac release now for a couple of months--especially since the "coming soon" advertisement.  Any news on the release date for either the itunes port or the jack release?

Thanks,
    P

• Carmelo Piccione

Sigh...

Trust me- I'd love to get the mac port in the shape I intended it to be. Alas, my company macbook has crapped the bed. I'm in the process of waiting for another macbook or buying one used if I can find a good deal.

There is still a chance that Alistair makes another release soon, however.

- Carmelo

• Carmelo Piccione

One more thing:

For the ambitious apple users, I could probably step them through how to compile the projectM / JackOSX port. Perhaps I'll add a wiki entry for it.

• Forgott3n

Forgott3n - 2008-09-19

I, for one, am willing to go through the whole compilation process. I am not too familiar with the internals of mac, however, I know enough about Linux to compile from source.

Lemme know when a Wiki page is made!

• Forgott3n

Forgott3n - 2008-09-26

I tried compiling from SVN src on my MBP-- Didn't work out too well.

I'm not too savvy but I used MacPorts to install cmake and the following happened below:

http://pastebin.ca/1211536

NB: I turned of libvisual because I don't know if I need that, and it wasn't in MacPorts.

Mac OS X 10.5.5 (Leopard). Intel MacBook Pro 17" Laptop (Feb 08).

• Carmelo Piccione

Turn off USE_OPENMP in cmake and keep trudging along from there.

• Forgott3n

Forgott3n - 2008-09-26

Unfortunately I hit another snag:

http://pastebin.ca/1211704

• pinkpanther21

pinkpanther21 - 2008-11-08

So any word from Descartes?

• Brian Kendall

Brian Kendall - 2008-11-18

Hi, I thought I should let everyone know that I'm currently working on a new mac build of projectM.  It's an iTunes plug-in based on the new release of projectM, and when I'm done I hope to have pixel shaders working, as well as a user interface for configuring the plug-in.  So far, I have the basic plug-in working great, but no pixel shader support and no UI just yet.  Hopefully it won't take too long to finish it!
      - Brian

• Sam H

Sam H - 2008-12-01

@guygizmo

Brian, I sent you an email. I am interested in helping you with the mac build.

• pinkpanther21

pinkpanther21 - 2008-12-21

yaaay! mac port! w00t.

Thanks guys. I'm really looking forward to the release. =)

• pinkpanther21

pinkpanther21 - 2009-02-05

Any news on the port? Thanks!

• pinkpanther21

pinkpanther21 - 2009-11-03

Bump! its been almost 3 years, and I'm still excited…

• pinkpanther21

pinkpanther21 - 2009-12-04

1 month bump! :-D

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2010-02-04

2 month bump

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2010-04-14

Hey!

I am a developer who has the following to offer:

- I lurve the milkdrop in winamp, and it is the only thing that makes me want windows
    - I have done basic open GL coding (followed NeHe's tutorials)
    - I have written code in an assortment of languages for 12 years
    - I really want to help make this project better than it already is

You have anything I can do?

• pinkpanther21

pinkpanther21 - 2010-08-16

6 month bump - still itching for an itunes plugin in os x. Any status updates? Has the project been abandoned?

• Pike

Pike - 2010-09-25

XBMC projectmanager here. I understand 2.0 doesn't work on OSX, and before it does, we won't bother making 2.0 an xbmc visualizer, so it would be great if some projectm devs could make it work

Thanks in advance

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2010-10-15

Bump bump! C'mon guys :)

• pinkpanther21

pinkpanther21 - 2010-11-26

Hope everyone had a great thanksgiving. 2 years later and I'm still looking forward to projectm coming out for the Mac. Hope it's coming along- I see some previous posters have offered their programming skills for the Mac port, has this had any breakthroughs in the code? Or rather Is there a specific technological wall that is preventing further  development (ie is it impossible to continue development?)
    Cheers

• apeiron877

apeiron877 - 2013-06-06

Hey pinkpanther, if you're still around and waiting for a projectM 2.1 OSX build, I have a fully packaged .dmg for you to try. It works for me on Lion and for at least two other people.. Download it here.

Last edit: apeiron877 2013-06-07
  • WordWeaver

WordWeaver - 2015-06-01

Apeiron877, the link you posted above two years ago appears to be dead now. I was able to download a DMG from another URL. I am not sure if it is the DMG that you made or not. At any rate, using different instructions I found on the web, I managed to get an older standalone version of projectM working on my iMac running Yosemite. It uses the JACK audio server to route music from VLC to projectM. I wrote up an easy-to-follow tutorial and posted it in the Mac OS X section of the VLC discussion forum. I made several posts, but here is the main one:

https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=126481#p425513

If anyone follows the above tutorial, you will have a standalone version -- not a plugin -- of projectM running on your Mac.

Also, Pete Sperl wrote to me not even an hour ago and informed me that someone named Mischa is currently working on a Mac port of projectM. I imagine that he is referring to 2.1.0. I am not certain, but I think the projectM-jack app that I am using now may be an older version. It has no version number in the Get Info window.

Last edit: WordWeaver 2015-06-01