flap going to shutdown mid of November

Flare Help
goose
2011-10-08
2013-05-29
  • goose

goose - 2011-10-08

Good morning,

hope all of you are well. As I see from the post frequency it seems like the flare community isn't  that
    alive and active, what a pity. Nevertheless I wanted to ask since I have decided to shutdown the webserver on which flap is hosted http://goosebumps4all.net/34all/bb/forumdisplay.php?fid=28
    if the community is interested to keep it going by moving the forum to another server or one of the free mybb forum hosting websites. Please let me know if you are interested and what procedure you would suggest to keep flap alive. For myself I am not using flare anymore these days so I am basically searching for somebody from within the community to take it over.

Best regards

martin

• Alec

Alec - 2011-10-20

I go to flap every now and then to just look for similar topics that may have been handled years ago…but yeah, kinda sad how dead the community is when I don't know another library out there that is open and can handle the same type of visualizations.  I'd love if you just move it to a free server, but don't hassle about it just for me lol

• goose

goose - 2011-10-21

if you want i can dump the database, make it available for you  and you can move it to a free server … :) do you know a good free server for that?

• Carlos

Carlos - 2011-10-31

Hi Martin

I am sorry that you have decided to shutdown flap. I was actually looking for an example you posted earlier showing two simultaneous visualizations. I am having a lot of trouble with this, and I was sure your example was going to help. Alas, the site is offline already, so I am wondering if it would be possible to obtain that file from you.

Thanks!

Carlos

• goose

goose - 2011-11-01

well that is not the idea of course if the community is not able to take it over … i put it online one more time for a few days so you and however else can download what they need

best

martin

• Carlos

Carlos - 2011-11-02

Martin,

Thank you very much for putting the forum online again. I have downloaded a few samples that have been very useful. If other people find the information valuable, I can find out if I could host it without further cost with my hosting company.

On my side, I am starting to use JavaScript visualization libraries.  However, for the Flash platform this is an excellent library.

Many thanks again.

Carlos

• goose

goose - 2011-11-03

most welcome

which js lib are you using, d3? (http://mbostock.github.com/d3/)

• Carlos

Carlos - 2011-11-03

I am playing with JavaScript InvoVis toolkit, what do you think about this library?

• Carlos

Carlos - 2011-11-03

Ooops sorry, forgot the link: http://thejit.org/

• goose

goose - 2011-11-03

haven't looked into it, looks very impressive, thanks for pointing to it

• Carlos

Carlos - 2011-11-03

Your welcome! Thank you very much for your work with Flare Prefuse, it really helped me A LOT!

Cheers!

• goose

goose - 2011-11-11

today the server which hosted flap will be terminated, fits to adobe's latest statements about flash - best and beyond to all of you

• mla

mla - 2012-06-14

Hey Martin!
    Did you find a way to host the archives of the forum somewhere ?

• goose

goose - 2012-06-14

Ho ml

I didnt look for that as i asked the community to organize something if there is interest …

best

martin

• pbeltranl

pbeltranl - 2013-02-14

Hi goose! 
    Likely you have listen about the new direct access to the GPU Flash features (AKA Stage3D) and perhaps about the Starling 2D framework. The Starling framework supports Sprites (its own Sprites). The authors' Starling claim that the API is quite close an should result very friendly for any AS3 developer. 
    I wonder whether you could give a Flare a second chance to live in the high performance graphics World! and support Starling as base for Flare. Well, I understand that you are working on something else and your feeling is that Flare is mainly ignored by the community. This is a very amazing library and it deserves a great future, but if you don't push it a bit more…  

Anyway thank you very much !!!
    Pablo.

• goose

goose - 2013-02-21

Hi Pablo,

I am not the author of flare (which is Jeff Heer, http://hci.stanford.edu/jheer/) So best you approach him with you interesting idea. (This post was about shutting down flap which was a forum around small flare demo programs)

Greets

martin

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks