Menu

Is there a practrand.exe available anywhere?

2020-08-09
2020-08-12
  • Wayne Harris

Wayne Harris - 2020-08-09

I usually run PractRand on GNU systems, but I can see that it should run on Windows too. Perhaps it was meant to be run on Windows. Must I compile it or is there an executable somewhere? Thank you.

• Cerian Knight

Cerian Knight - 2020-08-11

I recommend compiling 0.94 first, since it should be fairly trouble free for .NET.
      Then try to merge pre0.95 into it, following some info here:
      https://sourceforge.net/p/pracrand/discussion/366935/thread/35c96c218d/

I actually run both GNU and Windows binaries of TestU01 (STDIN version compiled originally with Cygwin), PractRand and gjrand interchangably under WSL (sometimes piping output from a Windows exe PRNG source/graphical visualization tool to a GNU exe of one of those three).

• Wayne Harris

Wayne Harris - 2020-08-12

Thank you, Cerian Knight. I found the binaries in 0.94 and I had to only download msvcr120.dll and msvcp120.dll to make them run. (It'd be nice to have those DLL included in the package, if Microsoft allows such thing.)

It runs now just fine, so I'm good.

For the record, I was also able to compile 0.94 just fine. Notice my command lines are not precisely those in the documentation. We don't need -lpthread during compilation, only during linking. Since I'm using GNU tools, I had to add -std=gnu++11 to the command line, otherwise the compiler won't accept the code.

%g++ -std=gnu++11 -c src/*.cpp src/RNGs/*.cpp src/RNGs/other/*.cpp -O3 -Iinclude
    %ar rcs libPractRand.a *.o

%g++ -std=gnu++11 -o RNG_test tools/RNG_test.cpp libPractRand.a -O3 -Iinclude -pthread
    %./RNG_test.exe 
    RNG_test using PractRand version 0.94
    [...]

• Cerian Knight

Cerian Knight - 2020-08-12

For Windows, I typically already have (usually several version of free) Visual Studio installed, or just download and install the required runtime package. I've only just recently learned Linux and C over the last few years on my own for working with random numbers, as otherwise I am more competent on Windows using either Visual Basic or assembly language (so I probably should keep my opinions on Linux and C to myself).