potrace and emf backend support?

Help
aix
2017-08-04
2017-08-04
  • aix

aix - 2017-08-04

Hi,

thanks for this great tool. I have been using it so far to add vector graphics to MS Office in eps format by a script. But recently, Microsoft discontinued support for eps for "safety reasons". The only vector format still supported by MS Office is emf (afaik). So I have been looking for a way to convert potrace output to emf, but have found no satisfying solution.

As a compromise, I am using inkscape command line to convert potrace pdf output to emf at the moment, but the vectors in inkscape emf output are sometimes quite "edgy"/angular and unclean.

I read in your FAQ that you don't plan to "write a frontend for every possible graphics file format known to mankind", but I dare to hope for an exception. A possible future support for a potrace emf backend would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Aix

• Peter Selinger

Peter Selinger - 2017-08-04

Dear Aix,

thanks for the suggestion. I don't know much about the EMF file format, as I am not much of a Windows user. I downloaded Microsoft's documentation for this file format, and it is 275 pages long. Unless there is a huge demand for such a backend, or unless someone else contributed it, it would probably take a very long time until I got around to writing it.

Have you tried the SVG output instead of EPS? It seems that SVG is a very common vector file format these days, and there seem to be many free tools for converting SVG to EMF.

Best wishes, -- Peter

• aix

aix - 2017-08-05

Hi Peter,

thank you for considering it and for your time to check emf format.

I tried SVG, most tools are either online or with front-end without automation by a script in Windows environment (command line). I think inkscape gives still the most acceptable output, so I will stay using that at this time.

Thank you again for this great tool.

Cordially
    Aix

• Peter Selinger

Peter Selinger - 2017-08-07

Do you have some sample EMF files that you could send me? Preferably
      with corresponding EPS or SVG files for comparison.

Thanks, -- Peter