Problem with adding virtual domains and users

2011-04-11
2013-01-23
  • Anders Rockström

I have a mailserver - postfix/dovecot/MySQL using virtual domains - which I administer using postfixadmin. Environment is Ubuntu 10.4 server, and all applications are upgraded to latest versions according to apt-get.

My problem is that PostfixAdmin (2.3.3) willingly lets me add new domains and new users and reports that job done. But there are no directories or files created to reflect the changes. I have an, what I thought was, identical (except for domains served) installation in which it works fine.

Is there anyone here that could give me a clue what might be the problem, and cure?

//AR

• Christian Boltz

Christian Boltz - 2011-04-11

The directories are created by sending the welcome mail when you create a mailbox (at least in theory ;-)

Check /var/log/mail to see what happens to your welcome mails…

• Anders Rockström

What I can see in the logs are that the first entries for the new account are frpm dovecot:

mail dovecot: ..  (prov@……com): mail_location: Ambiguous mail location setting, don't know what to do with it: /var/vmail/……com/prov    (try prefixing it with mbox: or maildir:)
                mail dovecot: deliver(prov@rockis.com): Fatal: Namespace initialization failed

which I interpreted as that dovecot expects some else to create the directories.

//AR

• Christian Boltz

Christian Boltz - 2011-04-11

No, dovecot is just confused ;-)

From DOVECOT.TXT in the PostfixAdmin documentation - I'm quite sure you have an error in this statement:

default_mail_env = maildir:/var/mail/vmail/%u/
    (dovecot 1.0.7 calls this mail_location … ie.. mail_location = maildir:/…../%u )

• Anders Rockström

No, the dovecot maildir-directive is ok
        mail_location = maildir:/var/vmail/%d/%u

I just snipped away too much of the above.

Below is the complete log following when I used postfixadmin to define a new account info2 to an existing domain jmr.se.

Apr 11 23:04:07 mail postfix/smtpd: connect from localhost
         Apr 11 23:04:07 mail postfix/smtpd: EFB1FA1A4F6: client=localhost
         Apr 11 23:04:08 mail postfix/cleanup: EFB1FA1A4F6: message-id=<20110411210407.E36F1A1A4F4@jmrlx1.jmr.se>
        Apr 11 23:04:08 mail postfix/qmgr: EFB1FA1A4F6: from=<anders@jmr.se>, size=688, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
        Apr 11 23:04:08 mail clamsmtpd: 100003: from=anders@jmr.se, to=info2@jmr.se, status=CLEAN
        Apr 11 23:04:08 mail postfix/smtp: E36F1A1A4F4: to=<info2@jmr.se>, relay=127.0.0.1:10025, delay=0.09, delays=0.01/0/0.04/0.04, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 2.0.0 Ok: queued as EFB1FA1A4F6)
        Apr 11 23:04:08 mail postfix/smtpd: disconnect from localhost
        Apr 11 23:04:08 mail postfix/qmgr: E36F1A1A4F4: removed
        Apr 11 23:04:08 mail dovecot: deliver(info2@jmr.se): mail_location: Ambiguous mail location setting, don't know what to do with it: /var/vmail/jmr.se/info2 (try prefixing it with mbox: or maildir:)
        Apr 11 23:04:08 mail dovecot: deliver(info2@jmr.se): Fatal: Namespace initialization failed
        Apr 11 23:04:08 mail postfix/pipe: EFB1FA1A4F6: to=<info2@jmr.se>, relay=dovecot, delay=0.05, delays=0.04/0/0/0.01, dsn=4.3.0, status=deferred (temporary failure)

What I read from this is that postfix, receives the welcome-mail ok. Which it should as all the info-pieces of the account seems to have been written in the mysql db in right places.

But the maildirectory for the account has not been created, so there is no such for dovecot to use. I guess should have been done either by postfixadmin or postfix.

I also copied the complete postfixadmin configuration and directories from a server on which it works ok - bu that did not help.

(I first experienced this problem after I installed a roundcube webmail application on the server - but I do not understand how this could be the problem.)

Do you have any ideas on what may be the cause, and advice how I should proceed?

//AR