adding bcc support to pfa ?

2013-11-29
2013-11-29
  • voytek eymont

voytek eymont - 2013-11-29

I'm a long time user of postfixadmin, all's well, many thanks to the developers.

how difficult would be to add support for bcc in postfixadmin ?

I have a couple of bcc on my 'old' server done using like
    sender_bcc_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/bcc_s_maps
    recipient_bcc_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/bcc_r_maps

on the new server, I'm trying to put these in mysql that I can edit through phpmyadmin, but I thought incorporating it in pfa would be even better, perhaps some done such mod already ?

? could some of existing code by 'duplicated' and different sql table put in it....?

(just a thought, I only have two entries there, so it's not a huge issue.)

• Simon Hobson

Simon Hobson - 2013-11-29

Before thinking about adding it to PFA, you'd need to think about typical use cases and how that affects the requirements of the UI. Eg:
    Would you add it as another element (alongside aliases and mailboxes) within a domain ? That would mean having code to add, display, & manage them at the domain level - but would mean adding them separately to each domain where it was required.
    Would you add them to individual mailboxes & aliases ? Probably the easiest for some users to understand, but even more work to add them to many addresses.
    Or would you add them as a global thing ? That could mean the user having to understand regexs if they want to do them by domain or address - but I suspect supporting regexs might not be feasible.
    Or would you do all three ?

Whichever option you choose, it's going to need coding across pretty much the whole system if it's "done right". Eg, if you have a global BCC, you'd want it to show at both the domain listing and mailbox/alias listing levels that there's a BCC applying to them. Done at the domain level, you'd want an indicator in the domain listing to show it's there, fields in the domain editing page(s), and indicators at the mailbox/alias listing level. And for the mailbox/alias level, you'd want indicators on the mailbox/alias listing page plus the editing fields on the mailbox/alias editing pages.

I suppose it comes down to how good your coding skills are, and how much you like coding !

• voytek eymont

voytek eymont - 2013-11-29

On Fri, November 29, 2013 7:08 pm, Simon Hobson wrote:

I suppose it comes down to how good your coding skills are, and how much
      you like coding !

Simon,

appreciate your details explanation!

I guess using phpmyadmin sounds like a really good idea even more so.

thanks for all your work on postfixadmin.

• Simon Hobson

Simon Hobson - 2013-11-29

thanks for all your work on postfixadmin

I can't take any credit, that belongs to the devs who wrote it. I'm just a happy user.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks