Not sending out welcome email

2011-05-05
2013-01-23
  • j.smith1981

j.smith1981 - 2011-05-05

I don't like the new iRedAdmin page, it's just not got the features I liked in this Postfix Admin page.

This is due to the developer not supporting Postfix Admin anymore, but I have a few problems trying to convert it back to Postfix Admin.

When the welcome email on postfix admin version 2.3.2 (a great version too!)

But it keeps bringing up the following error in my /var/log/maillog messages:

May  5 10:19:51 server postfix/smtpd: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from localhost.localdomain: 550 5.1.0 <system@mytestdomain.lan>: Sender address rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table; from=<system@mytestdomain.lan> to=<test@mytestdomain.lan> proto=ESMTP helo=<mailadmin.mytestdomain.lan>

Also this error appears when I attempt to delete a user:

DEBUG INFORMATION:
    Invalid query: Table 'vmail.quota' doesn't exist

Please check the documentation and website for more information.

Postfix Admin
    Forums

Any help is appreciated allot,
    Jeremy.

• j.smith1981

j.smith1981 - 2011-05-05

Sorry the error 'Sender address rejected' is when I add a user, that is all the errors I have found so far aswell.

Just in adding the user, would be nice to get the welcome message working, it's with iRedmail version 0.7.0, but the developer for some weird reason's stopped supporting this great Admin page I really like!

Also the deleting of users, would be nice to get this working, if that is possible please?

• Simon Hobson

Simon Hobson - 2011-05-05

The clue is in the message :
    >> Sender address rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table;

It means the sender address isn't acceptable to Postfix :
    >> from=<system@mytestdomain.lan>

Since PFA doesn't set your Postfix config, you will need to look at how you have Postfix configured - most likely your smtpd_sender_restrictions statement. Rather than relaxing this though, you may be better correcting your system name - it will cause you all sorts of problems having a system name that isn't a real name resolvable through the DNS.

Ideally you should have the machine on a fixed public IP, with reverse DNS set up (ie a PTR record) to match a valid A record. Eg, IP=1.2.3.4 would resolve to mail.mydomain.com, and mail.mydomain.com would resolve to 1.2.3.4 - obviously substituing your own address/domain name. If you don't have this right, you will find a lot of sites will reject your mail - or worse, flag all your mail as spam and silently delete it.

• j.smith1981

j.smith1981 - 2011-05-05

No that makes perfect sense!

Just to test it in a dummy situation system@mytestdomain.lan is not a real user, that's what's causing the problem right?

How would I go about making the postfixadmin web page set it literally?

Just to see if this works, like I have admin@mytestdomain.lan which is a legit email user, just wanted to see if I can go about doing that. via that approach if you like.

Sorry I will repeat myself, just so I know I have explained fully (thank you for informing me, really appreciate that), how would I go about making postfix admin make it set the senders email literally, for sending out the welcome email?

It must be possible, since it will most likely look it up using sql, just wanted to see if I can override that setting, backing it up before I change anything of course.

Then I can see if it would work as such, I really look forward to your reply.

Much appreciated that reply though,
    Jeremy.

• j.smith1981

j.smith1981 - 2011-05-05

Actually no need to worry I got it working.

Pretty easy really, I knew it wouldn't be anything wrong with my configs, since I am able to send and receive emails fine.

It was just complaining that system@mytestdomain.lan wasn't an email address, when I added admin@mytestdomain.lan into the admin's for that domain, with system@mytestdomain.lan as the global admin if you like.

If I setup a user on system@mytestdomain.lan, it won't work, I just won't set users up on that login, I will just do domains!

Or setup an alias for it maybe, see what happens when I do that.

I know exactly what was wrong, all's good though, shows me that its very secure!

• Christian Boltz

Christian Boltz - 2011-05-05

> Invalid query: Table 'vmail.quota' doesn't exist

PostfixAdmin assumes that the database you are using is in "PostfixAdmin format" (as in: tables foo, bar and baz exist, and they have the fields x, y and z). It looks like your database does not match the needed layout - for example you don't have the "quota" table.

I don't know iRedAdmin and its database structure, but obviously it is different ;-) If it is "just" a structure an old version of PostfixAdmin used, you can run setup.php to update the database structure (do a backup before you try it!). Otherwise you should create a new (empty) database with setup.php and then migrate your existing mailboxes, aliases etc. to the new database. (Hint: a query like "INSERT INTO foo SELECT field1, field2, anotherfield AS field3 FROM bar" can make the migration quite easy.)

BTW: PostfixAdmin uses the username of the currently logged in admin as sender for the welcome mail.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks