Workings of domain aliases

2011-08-02
2013-01-23
  • Simon Hobson

Simon Hobson - 2011-08-02

I've been doing some tweaking on my mail server - in particular I found out I'd never properly configured relay domains.
    I'm running PFA version  2.3 rc7 on Debian Sqeeze.

Firstly, I've added extra SQL scripts to allow relay domains to work when the initial destination is an alias domain for another , and I've modified my scripts to use the transport field to determine if a domain is a relay domain.
    As an aside, I've modified the virtual scripts to only work for domains which are marked as virtual.

I'll post up what I've done later.

However, I've come up with a couple of things I could do with clarification on :

1) When setting up a domain that is an alias to another, it seems I have to create both domains as regular domains and then configure one as an alias to the other. So I end up with the domains table containing a redundant entry for "aliasdomain" when really it should only need to contain "realdomain"
    Is this correct, or have I missed something ?

It would seem to me that it would make sense to not put "aliasdomain" in the domain table since (with the exception of 'description') everything needed is in the alias_domain table.

2) I don't seem to be able to delete alias entries. When I click on "Del" next to an alias domain entry in a domain view, then it's not deleted. I don't see any errors in either mail or web server logs.
    Any ideas ?

3) While looking for this, I noticed that domain creation & deletion (and alias domain creation/deletion) don't seem to appear in the log table.

• Christian Boltz

Christian Boltz - 2011-08-02

Q 1: At the first look you are right. However, doing it in the way you you describe would mean that we loose a feature that can be quite helpful: the "alias domain except …" ;-)  Even on an alias domain, you can create aliases or mailboxes that are different from the target domain. Everything else (think "catchall") will be redirected to the alias domain target.

Q 2: which version of postfixadmin do you use? My guess is 2.3(.0) because we fixed the delete link for alias domains in 2.3.1 ;-) Update to the latest version (2.3.3) and it should work.

Q 3: known issue - https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2886179&group_id=191583&atid=937964
    Unfortunately nobody had time to fix it until now.

• Simon Hobson

Simon Hobson - 2011-08-03

1) Hadn't thought of that !
    Upgraded - I see that the alias_domain entry is now deleted when the alias_domain is deleted.

2) I was in my post - 2.3rc7
    However, it looks like the version check is broken.
    http://postfixadmin.sourceforge.net/update-check.php?version=2.3%2520rc7 says "Congratulations - you're running the latest version of PostfixAdmin". It seems that to the checker, "2.3rc7" and "2.3 rc7" are both >= 2.3.3

3) Not exactly the end of the world !
    My cleanup scripts don't log what they're doing either :(

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks