Trying to translate on a Mac

Help
Mircsicz
2007-08-06
2013-03-08
  • Mircsicz

Mircsicz - 2007-08-06

Hi all,

yesterday I installed PostBooks_quickstart on one of my DB server's for testing. I read about PostBooks on golem.de a german computer related news site. In the article they wrote that PostBooks is fully localelized, so I spent some time trying to find a *.lang file or something similar. As I only found a basic *.ts file I loaded it together with the Linguist for MacOS. I've translated some strings for testing and now I'ld like to test those strings, but I can't find the "lrelease" tool and don't know how to install it on my Mac. So if someone could please shade some light on me and my prob I'ld be very grateful...

Greetz
           Mirco

• Mircsicz

Mircsicz - 2007-08-06

I used on of my Xen based machine's to install qt3-dev-tools, this *.deb package contains the lrelease. I copied the *.ts file via scp to this machine and ran it like this: lrelease PostBooks_OpenMFG.de_DE.ts -qm PostBooks_OpenMFG.de_DE.qm ...

But now I still don't know where to place the *.qm file in the MacOSX Package of PostBooks, so if someone would tell me where to place and how to call the file I'ld still be very grateful...

Greetz
           Mircsicz

• Pierce Tyler

Pierce Tyler - 2007-08-06

Hi, Mircsicz:

First of all, thank you for beginning work on the German translation. We have had a lot of interest from German users over the past week. And so your contribution is much appreciated!

Here are the steps you need to follow:

1. On Mac, place the .qm file in the MacOS directory (inside Package Contents).

2. Next create a Locale (System|Master Information) which points to the .qm file. So, let's say your file is called "PostBooks.de.qm". In the setup for the German Locale, you would put "PostBooks.de" in the "Language" field. Note: The ".qm" extension is not required.

3. Finally, you need to edit your user to use the German Locale. Open System|Maintain Users and change the Locale from "Default" to "German".

4. Log out/log in and you should see your translations.

Meanwhile, we will be adding a CVS module for .ts downloads in the near future. That module will contain the most current Default .ts file--as well as any other language files that have been contributed. If you are willing, we would like to add your work on PostBooks.de.ts to the list.

Let us know how things are progressing. And again, thanks for you efforts.

Regards,
      Pierce

• Mircsicz

Mircsicz - 2007-08-06

I did as you mentioned and it worked as expected...

Shure can you upload my PostBooks.de_DE.qm or *.ts but I don't know if I'll be able to finish it, cause this depends on the management decision. If they decide to use PostBooks I'll translate it complete, if not I'll stop at what was enough for demonstration...

Greetz
              Mircsicz

• Uwe Herczeg

Uwe Herczeg - 2007-08-09

Hi,,

we are also on testing 2.2b3 on a mac on would be glad to have an german language file. also we can help on translationg parts of it.

TIA

Uwe

• Pierce Tyler

Pierce Tyler - 2007-08-09

Geetings, Uwe!

The German translation is now underway and we would welcome your participation. To help coordinate efforts (and avoid double work), we have set up a German translation discussion forum here: http://www.xtuple.org/?q=forum/53.

Because the forum is new, there has not been much conversation yet. But please visit and add your voice.

Thanks for your interest. We look forward to working with you.

Guten Tag,
        Pierce

• Uwe Herczeg

Uwe Herczeg - 2007-08-14

If you need any help in testing or translating - do not hesitate to contact us.

Greetz

Uwe

• Pierce Tyler

Pierce Tyler - 2007-08-14

Hi, Uwe:

Thanks for keeping in touch with us! We do want your help. Right now, we are waiting for Mirco (see other posts) to return from vacation later this week. He is working on the translation file. And we need him to help coordinate everyone's efforts. Nobody wants to do double translations!

Once Mirco gets back, we can develop a plan to divide the work among all the translators. Keep your eye on this forum and also on the xtuple.org German translation forum here: http://www.xtuple.org/?q=forum/53.

Regards,
            Pierce

• omfgppc

omfgppc - 2007-10-30

Please disregard this post.  For testing.

- PC