Menu

Timing performance.

Help
2014-04-07
2014-04-08
  • Moritz Mark

Moritz Mark - 2014-04-07

Hello everyone,

I have got an issue regarding the timing performance of Portmidi. It would be nice to discuss it here.

I build Portmidi with the MinGW C Compiler in Eclipse Juno at highest optimizing level -O3. The program is running on Windows 7. My application is quite simple:

1. Read in the midi stream from an Alesis Percpad through an Alesis io2 USB-to-MIDI Interface by polling with “pm_Poll()”.
    2. Everytime the “pm_Poll()” result is true, write one note to the output MIDI stream opened at the Microsoft Wavetable Synth with “Pm_Write()”. Since the Percpad only sends data when it is hit I don’t have to filter or evaluate the data, thus the TRUE return from “pm_Poll()” does it all.

Now my problem is that the delay between hitting and playing the note is very significant! It’s about more than 100ms. When I play at 100bpm I have to hit about one 16th note before to get the note in time. May this depend on the Portmidi implementation or is it my hardware?

My Pm_Event buffer has got only the size of 1 for the time being but I don’t think that this is the point because I just need it to empty the MIDI buffer and not evaluate the data.

What is the Timing Performance of Portmidi at all??

Looking forward to your suggestions!
    Regards

• Moritz Mark

Moritz Mark - 2014-04-08

Ok guys, it's pretty simple!
    The Problem was just using the MS Wavetable synth as Output which produces horrible latency (read here: http://haskell.cs.yale.edu/euterpea/midi-on-windows/).

Perhaps it's useful for newbies to know about this before you investigating a lot! Just try another synth. Now I plugged a Ketron SD2 and everthing is fine!