New Version: V4 (Ubuntu 10.4 LTS)

Help
bob_wh
2011-08-20
2013-04-23
<< < 1 2 (Page 2 of 2)
  • otaku888

otaku888 - 2011-09-09

@Bob I have sent you the FTP details. Note: It is an SFTP connection, so you will have to choose that option in the client.

• bob_wh

bob_wh - 2011-09-10

Hi Otaku888:

Why does this need to be a secure ftp connection?  Thats a lot of extra overhead for data that does not really need to be secured.  It will certainly slow down the transfer compared to regular ftp connection.

-Bob

• otaku888

otaku888 - 2011-09-10

It's quick and easy to set up and manage. There is hardly any difference in speed if you have a fast connection. There is slightly more CPU overhead, but most people have powerful computers these days.

And you have the added bonus of security.

Don't use it if you don't want to. I'm thinking of taking it down as nobody has used it anyway.

• bob_wh

bob_wh - 2011-09-10

It may not be true that all people have the newer computers.  One of the reasons for using Pubuntu/colinux is that it will run on older computers.  My laptop is 5 years old and is a P4 (1.6ghertz).

I have build a smaller compressed file that I will try to upload tonight. 

I have removed office , the games, and reduced the free space to 10% of total space.  Uncompressed this distribution is about 3.5gb which is about 250 mb smaller than the 3.8gb of the "TRES" distribution. Unfortunablely when I compress it with 7zip using the highest compression (ultimate) it only compresses to 1.4gb.  This is strange because the "TRES" distribution is compressed to 559mb and its uncompressed size it larger the new uncompressed V4 size.  

Does anybody have any ideas what can be done to compress V4 so that the compress size is closer to the "TRES"  compressed size?

-Bob

• otaku888

otaku888 - 2011-09-10

I still don't think you will notice any difference on a p4.

let me know how you fare.

• bob_wh

bob_wh - 2011-09-11

Hi Otaku888:

I uploaded the following two files to your server in the public folder using WINSCP:

Portable_Ubuntu_V4_slim1_091011.exe      1.4gb
    Portable_Ubuntu_V4_slim1_091011.md5       71bytes

and then downloaded, verified, and decompressed and booted 4 times to test it.

Upload stats:  127 kb/sec average,  3 1/4 hours elapsed time
    Download stats:  316 kb/sec average , about 1 hour to download
    This is based on a traceroute from NH to Florida with 22 hops with a approximately 50 millisec delay

compression time:  3 1/2 hour
    decompression time:  20 minutes

Note:  when your  run  Pubuntu your antivirus/internet security program may interfer with Pubuntu and may result in timeouts on the console.  The way around this is to configure the security program to trust the following exe's: colinux,  console, slirp-net daemons,  pubuntu.exe, xwin.exe so that the delays are reduced and the timeouts avoided.

RECOMMENDED:  you will only have about 400 mb of free space when Pubuntu is booted.  It is recommended that you expand the root according to procedure given elsewhere in this forum using the toporesize windows utility "tfile" and resize2fs on linux.  Also you may want to install open office with the Ubuntu software center or by other means (search google for other procedures).  open office and the games  were removed in order to make the download as smaller.

Thanks for providing the server.

-Bob

• bob_wh

bob_wh - 2011-09-11

To AlfC:

I send mail to the project owner using the address you provided.  Lets wait a week and see if there is a response.

-Bob

• sascha

sascha - 2011-09-11

nice that you uploaded it. I hope someone will release the link here so i can mirror it and i can try it out.

Thanks. And sorry again that the HTTP upload didn't worked.

• bob_wh

bob_wh - 2011-09-18

Hi All:

I finally received mail from Claudio (the project owner) and he gave me access to the files section.  I have uploaded a new version of distribution files to the files section in the Version_V4 folder.

It is a slighltly more compressed version of the file using the LZM2 algorithm. It only saved about 6 mb over the previous one.  It appears that I have got the maximum compression that I can get by fiddling with the compression parameters in 7-zip.  My research indicates the it might be possible to get more compression using the new experimental PAQ* algorithms but compression/decompression time would be very slow.

In the future is may be necessary to remove more stuff as each release of Ubuntu seems to be getting larger.  I don't know what limits sourceforge has on the size of files but our size is still smaller than a single layer DVD and some of the linux distributions are distributing DVD size files.

-Bob 

• HyperSh0ck

HyperSh0ck - 2011-10-11

I am really surprised that none of you offered or considering TORRENT seeding as a way to distribute this huge file. In that regard I am downloading it now and will offer it for seed shortly. I'll provide the tracker link when I finish the download and the creation of the torrent file.

• HyperSh0ck

HyperSh0ck - 2011-10-12

Ok here is the torrent link I promised everyone!

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/6739336

• nateddgg

nateddgg - 2011-12-11

Seeding here =) nice work

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2012-02-11

:)
    please someone make a new version..
    speedlinux already supports 11.10 and 12.04..

• bob_wh

bob_wh - 2012-02-11

GlenNU:

I am currently working on fixing bridged networking and have run into problems with Colinux crashing
    I will consider upgrading to 12.04 after is it officially released ( after April).

If you are in a rush, You can always do the upgrade yourself on your local copy.

-Bob

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2012-02-14

thanks Bob..
    will the next version have a unity dash?

• bob_wh

bob_wh - 2012-02-14

Please create a separate topic for questions about the new release.  This topic only applies to V4 which was already released.

As for uniity, I haven't investigated whether or not it is feasible yet.  However, since unity is not limited to just a panel at the top of the screen we may be unable to use multi-window mode with the Xserver without spending a lot of time modifying the Graphical UI code.  Otherwise,  multiwindow mode will interfer with the windows bar at the bottom of the screen or at other places on the screen.  In such a case we may have to use single window for the Xserver with sub windows for applications in it.  I will have a better idea what is feasible after I investigate further.

-Bob

<< < 1 2 (Page 2 of 2)