Menu

How to use Popfile 1.0 IMAP with GMAIL

HOWTO
2007-12-21
2013-04-15
  • Morgenstern72

Morgenstern72 - 2007-12-21

This seems to be s obvious to some of you, but I really don't get how Popfiles IMAP extension works with GMAIL.

How can I tell popfile that its buckets are gmails labels?
    What Do I have to check/uncheck at the bucket-configuration?

As I get it the new IMAP-extension connects itself to gmail and does some (for me!) miraculous labeling without any need of an email-client. In Outlook I had modified the x-text-classifications and then used the filters of outlook to sort the mails. I Do not get this with imap/gmail.

Thx for your help :)

• Manni

Manni - 2007-12-21

"How can I tell popfile that its buckets are gmails labels?"

You can't. At least not as directly as you might think.

When you connect to gmail's imap service, you get all your labels as folders on the server. POPFile can operate on those folders. On POPFile's configuration tab, you have to assign folders to POPFile's buckets.

Manni

• Morgenstern72

Thx alot!

You have to configure IMAP first and get these options afterward after loading the folders. That was not clear to me.

• Morgenstern72

Since I never use(d) Outlook Express I configured it for IMAP with the same (copy-paste) settings used in Popfile. No problem getting the folders there.

I even tried connecting with Popfile with deactivated firewall just to be sure. "Waitung for localhost" and no folders....

• Morgenstern72

Mh, does still not work. I do not get any folders/labels. Its loading the page but nothing happens, loading does not stop.

I used these settings (user@gmail.com):

server: imap.gmail.com or imap.googlemail.com
      ssl: yes
      port: 993
      user: user or user@gmail.com
      password: password

I check in popfle.cfg, its all correct.

What do I wrong?

• Morgenstern72

PS: IMAP is enabled in Gmail!