Menu

Does it do Multipule accounts

HOWTO
AndreL
2006-10-11
2013-04-15
  • AndreL

AndreL - 2006-10-11

I what to know if POPFile can handle multipule account from a Web based POP POP server like Hotmail. I have Opeara and use the M2 feature and I've been looking for a spam filter to do away with some of the spam I get just somthing to cut it down a bit or two.

• Brian Smith

Brian Smith - 2006-10-18

POPFile supports POP3 and IMAP. If you want to use POPFile to classify web-based mail then you need to use some extra software in between POPFile and the web-based email system, like this:

email client -- POPFile -- extra software -- internet -- web-based email (e.g. Yahoo mail)

POPFile can handle multiple POP3 accounts so if the "extra software" you use can handle multiple accounts then you can use POPFile with multiple web-based email accounts.

There are several different programs you can use for this "extra software". Some of these only work with one type of web-based email (e.g. some only work with Hotmail, some only work with Yahoo mail). The Wiki mentions some of these programs here:
      http://popfile.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?FrequentlyAskedQuestions/YahooHotmailWebmailCompatible

If you use Thunderbird there is a Webmail extension for it that works with many different types of web-based email (Hotmail, Yahoo mail, Gmail, AOL and others). The Webmail extension can handle more than one email account.

Gmail can also be configured to support POP3 access so you can use POPFile to classify your Gmail messages without needing any extra software (though you'll probably need to add POPFile's optional SSL support because Gmail's POP3 access requires SSL).

[If you want HELP with POPFile you'll get a faster response if you ask in our HELP forum]

Brian