Remove Query String from media URLs

Help
Andi
2012-12-17
2013-04-07
  • Andi

Andi - 2012-12-17

Hi!

Thank you for releasing another version of this handy script!

There are RSS feeds where the media URLs come with an added query string. One example is Vimcast, where media URLs look like this: "http://media.vimcasts.org/videos/39/profiling.ogv?referrer=rss" which results in file names like "profiling.ogv?referrer=rss".

Is there a way to strip the query strings from the file names and their respective playlist entries? I have filename_formatfix 1 through 4 enabled in my config file.

Thank you!
    Bye, Andi

• Dave Vehrs

Dave Vehrs - 2012-12-19

I'm looking into this.  I would love to have Vimcasts supportted as Vim is my favorite editor.

Unfortunately there appears to be some problems with the site today.   I can't seem to access it or download the feeds from my home connection or through a proxy.  Not sure why, it has worked before.   I will add this to my list of desired features for the next release which will hopefully come soon!

Thanks for the idea!

• Dave Vehrs

Dave Vehrs - 2012-12-27

OK, I got my connection to Vimcasts working and was able to create a filename_formatfix5 for this issue.  I downloaded both the Ogg and Quicktime feeds to test it and it seems to be working.

I've uploaded a patched version of podget into  the CVS and it will be included in the next version released.  I'd just like to get at least one more issue addressed before I do.  Hopefully that one will go as smooth as this one!

If you download the new version from CVS, you may need to update your ${HOME}/.podget/podgetrc to include "filename_formatfix5=1" or delete the existing file and run podget to automatically create a new version. 

• Andi

Andi - 2012-12-27

Works perfectly, thank you very much!

Have nice holidays!

Bye, Andi

• Dave Vehrs

Dave Vehrs - 2013-03-15

Just wanted to drop you a note to let you know that I am not ignoring this request. 

The issue that you bring up reveals that my previous patch was too limited in scope.  Now it would be fairly simple to add another patch to address your issue but that would just set us up to add more patches as similar issues were discovered.  Rather than open that can of worms, I'm trying to find a way to make the previous patch apply more generally.  Then hopefully we can fix this issue once and be done with it, allowing us to focus on other issues.

Wish me Luck!  I'm hoping to find a solution as soon as possible!

Dave V.

• Dave Vehrs

Dave Vehrs - 2013-03-16

Turns out this issue was only superficially like the one that affected vimcasts.   This feed was placing the filename of the object to be downloaded in the media_url parameter.  So while I was not able to use the previous format fix, I have been able to implement a new one that is hopefully generic enough to apply to more feeds than just the Radio France one.

I've uploaded a new version to CVS and I am currently testing it.  So far so good.  If all goes well, I will upload a new package in a few days. 

To use this fix, you will need to add "filename_formatfix7=1" to your ${HOME}/.podget/podgetrc file. 

And it may be a good idea to make sure that "filename_formatfix4=0" is set to disable it and prevent the fixes from both altering the filename. 

Thanks for bringing this issue to my attention!

Dave V.

• tom-angoumoisin

tom-angoumoisin - 2013-03-16

Hi Dave,

Thank you for this prompt reply and thanks for having set up a solution so quiclkly.

I'll try it in the next few days, and hopefully I'll have my radiofrance podcasts back :-)