move map to desktop

Help
runals
2008-06-23
2013-05-02
  • runals

runals - 2008-06-23

Hi

Great SW. But I am having trouble with reading the map on the desktop. I move the file over from my iPaq with a file explorer (XP Pro SP2) and try to execute with Freeminf version 0.9 B 16. All I see is a root node with the following
    "Error while parsing file:freemind.main.XMLParseException: XML Parse Exception during parsing of the XML definition at line 1: Expected: <"

What is the problem and what can I do about it?

AWR

• Chuck

Chuck - 2008-06-24

It sounds like there is a broken XML node in your mind map file, but I'm not sure which one. I can create files on my PDA and open them with FreeMind 0.9.0 B15 -- I suppose there could be a subtle difference between B15 and B16 that we didn't catch...

Can you attach your MindMap file (or a sanitized version of your MindMap file) that has this problem? We can take a look at the XML in the file and see what's broken.

Thanks,
      Chuck

• Chuck

Chuck - 2008-06-25

Message sent directly to Andrew this evening, putting it here so it's archived on the forum:

Andrew,

I was unable to replicate the problem, the file that you sent me opened in both 0.9B09 and 0.9B18 (the current version available from the FreeMind Web site.

I've attached a screen shot of the software running on my laptop. I double-clicked the file you sent me and this is what I got when FreeMind opened up.

What I expected to see is a tag in the mind map XML file that we munged up some how, an element that either we put in that desktop FreeMind doesn't support or an element that desktop FreeMind supports that we created incorrectly. I can't see either problem in the document that you sent me.

I'd suggest upgrading to the latest version of FreeMind, the release notes say that it is a bug fix release so maybe there is a bug in 0.9B15 that you're running in to. Other than that I don't have any suggestions, except maybe to save the file that doesn't work with a new name and see if the new version of the file works when the old one doesn't.

Chuck

• Brian Findlay

Brian Findlay - 2008-08-22

Hi

Great software but I am having the same problem with version 0.5 and 090 beta 19. Also tried copying a file onto the PDA, then changing. OK on PDA but same error message on desktop.

Any clues as to what is wrong?

Thanks

Brian

• Hafiz Pariabi

Hafiz Pariabi - 2008-08-23

Hi Brian,

It would be great if you could copy-paste the content of the problematic .mm file here. It's just a text file, so you could open it in any text editor and copy-paste the content here (removing any "sensitive" content, if any, of course :) ).

Thanks,

Hafiz

• Brian Findlay

Brian Findlay - 2008-08-26

Hafiz

As requested, copy of file.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
      <map>
        <!--To view this file, download free mind mapping software FreeMind from http://freemind.sourceforge.net
             Made with Pocket Freemind by Peter Carroll http://eringal.com/pocketfreemind/-->
        <node ID="Freemind_Link_1228260746" CREATED="1219351355" MODIFIED="1219409293" TEXT="stuff">
          <icon BUILTIN="idea" />
          <node ID="Freemind_Link_521135227" CREATED="1219351413" MODIFIED="1219409286" TEXT="great">
            <icon BUILTIN="full-1" />
          </node>
          <node ID="Freemind_Link_1159935897" CREATED="1219409300" MODIFIED="1219409381" TEXT="Should be useful ">
            <icon BUILTIN="ksmiletris" />
          </node>
          <node ID="Freemind_Link_983878139" CREATED="1219409393" MODIFIED="1219409431" TEXT="10 more things " COLOR="#A52A2A">
            <icon BUILTIN="full-1" />
          </node>
          <node ID="Freemind_Link_494122778" CREATED="1219412950" MODIFIED="1219412980" TEXT="free" COLOR="#FF0000">
            <icon BUILTIN="desktop_new" />
          </node>
        </node>
      </map>

• Hafiz Pariabi

Hafiz Pariabi - 2008-08-26

Works find when I tested it. I use Freemind 0.9 beta 16. Here's how it looks like :

http://picasaweb.google.co.id/hafiz.pariabi/PocketFreemind/photo#5238809717674913362

• Hafiz Pariabi

Hafiz Pariabi - 2008-08-26

Sorry, I mean fine :). I opened it as you posted, nothing edited and it succesfully opened.

• Brian Findlay

Brian Findlay - 2008-08-27

Thanks Hafiz

Tried removing and reloading all software and renaming file but no change. Once the file is opened on PDA it will not open on desktop. Any further suggestions.

Regards

Brian

• Hafiz Pariabi

Hafiz Pariabi - 2008-08-28

Well, this is hard since we can not replicate the problem here.

The file itself it seems intact, the xml is well-formed, nothing seems to be broken. So, here's what I can think of :

* use different JRE, update (or downgrade it). I use Java 1.6.0_07 myself.
      * try with other version of Freemind. Mine is 0.9.0 Beta 16.
      * since the message is about error in reading line 1 (cannot read "<"), try to edit the file and give a completely blank line (or two line to be sure) before the first line i.e: "<?xml versi...". Let us know if this help, we'll probably do some modification on the pocketFreemind code to accomodate this.

As a note, I used my mindmaps (the same files that is on windows and pocketpc) on my linux machine too with no problem.

Cheers,

Hafiz

• Brian Findlay

Brian Findlay - 2008-09-01

Hafiz

Thanks for the suggestions. the upgrade to Java 1.6 has fixed the problem.

Regards

Brian

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks