Networking 820Cse

2000-04-12
2000-07-11
  • Yuri Oskotsky

Yuri Oskotsky - 2000-04-12

Hi,

The 820Cse is by default non-networkable. If it is attached to a UNIX system, it can be made available on the network.

My question is: what is the simplest and most foolproof way of achieving this? I have a spare 486 that could be used as a dedicated print server.

Generally, UNIX machines should not have problems printing to a standard print server, as long as the print server knows how to handle attached printer (pnm2ppa). When it comes to Windoze I see two ways: running Samba on the print server (as has been described in detail in Help forum), or running Windows TCP/IP Printing on Windows NT and some other 3rd party lpr package on 95/98 (I think Windows TCP/IP Printing is not available for 95/98).

Please correct me if there are other choices. What would you recommend in a mixed environment (Linux, Solaris, NeXT, BeOS, Win98, WinNT, MacOS8 (I run DAVE - Samba client for MacOS and do not currently run Samba on any of UNIX flavors).

Thanks for your advice.

Yuri Oskotsky

• Anonymous - 2000-07-11

The HP 820Cse literature indicates that it cannot be networked.  However, I downloaded the latest drivers early last year from HP and found that networking worked on my home network.  Both the host and server machines were running Windows 95.  I was very surprised at the time and was prepared to buy another printer.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks