From: Alan W. Irwin <irwin@be...> - 2007-09-18 20:46:31
On 2007-09-17 19:59-0700 Jerry wrote:
> Can someone remind me of the anticipated date for the next release?
The next release is 5.8.0-RC1. Ideally, that release candidates will be
virtually identical to the final stable release, 5.8.0 that will be done
after a suitable testing period for 5.8.0-RC1. Thus, all issues that people
are actively working on to get into the stable release should be resolved
before the 5.8.0-RC1 release.
One of those issues is some recently discovered problems for the gd.c device
driver that Andrew Roach is actively trying to fix. I would prefer to wait
until that is sorted out (or Andrew says he cannot fix it in the short term)
before we release 5.8.0-RC1. Now that pngcairo is giving such good-looking
results, Hazen and I also have to deal with some script changes for
generating the website examples using the pngcairo device before we can
release 5.8.0-RC1. If anybody else has an active issue they are working on,
speak out now!
Once the final decision is made to release 5.8.0-RC1, I think there won't be
a lot of lead time to the actual release of 5.8.0-RC1 because we have
already taken more time with it than we originally planned. Hazen and I
have not yet discussed how he will release 5.8.0 after the testing period
for 5.8.0-RC1 is completed, but I assume he will do only absolutely
necessary bug fixing changes to 5.8.0-RC1 on the 5.8.0 tag used for the
5.8.0 release while any normal development after the release of 5.8.0-RC1
would go into svn trunk and thus not be part of the 5.8.0 release.
So, Jerry, to answer the question that is probably behind your question, now
would be a good time to make a code drop of any recent Ada changes you have
done if you want to get them into either 5.8.0-RC1 or 5.8.0. The next chance
for a stable release after 5.8.0 is probably a year from now.
Alan W. Irwin
Astronomical research affiliation with Department of Physics and Astronomy,
University of Victoria (astrowww.phys.uvic.ca).
Programming affiliations with the FreeEOS equation-of-state implementation
for stellar interiors (freeeos.sf.net); PLplot scientific plotting software
package (plplot.org); the libLASi project (unifont.org/lasi); the Loads of
Linux Links project (loll.sf.net); and the Linux Brochure Project
Alan W. Irwin wrote:
> On 2007-09-17 19:59-0700 Jerry wrote:
>> Can someone remind me of the anticipated date for the next release?
> The next release is 5.8.0-RC1. Ideally, that release candidates will be
> virtually identical to the final stable release, 5.8.0 that will be done
> after a suitable testing period for 5.8.0-RC1. Thus, all issues that people
> are actively working on to get into the stable release should be resolved
> before the 5.8.0-RC1 release.
I'm happy to report that current plplot svn builds on the latest Fedora
development tree. Simply amazing really.
The big caveat being the octave interface, which is completely broken
with the changes made by recent versions of octave. I'd like to keep
this on people's radar. Are there any current developers of the octave
Technical Manager 303-415-9701 x222
NWRA/CoRA Division FAX: 303-415-9702
3380 Mitchell Lane orion@...
Boulder, CO 80301 http://www.cora.nwra.com