I've been successful building plplot using mingw/msys and, armed with the cmake familiarity
I've acquired I went back to seehow far I can get with CYGWIN.
My hardware: Intel 64-bit dual-core, 6GB memory. (no virtualization)
C/D/E/F drives. E: holds a WinXP 32-bit, C holds Win7 home premium
Cygwin(32) installation from Win-XP heavily loaded, cmake=2.8.9
Cygwin(64) 1.7.30 on Win7, gcc 4.8.2, cmake=2.8.12
I can't run cygwin32, as it stands, from the win7 system so I have to reboot into XP for that.
I keep a "Vanilla" cmake-2.8.12 for tests, otherwise my modifications are made in a few
files to help the Mingw/msys compilations proceed. Another modification is needed to
catch CYGWIN, which I run with generator "Unix Makefiles" and -DCMAKE_HOST_UNIX=1
set (in my modified files I set this in CMakeUnixFindMake).
With a minimum number of found packages the cygwin64/cmake2.8.12+ configuration
looks healthy, ready to make xfig, wingcc and a few other drivers (Statis). However I get a make error right off the bat, (operating on a recent svn snapshot)
lib/qsastime/CMakeFiles/deltaT-gen.dir/build.make:59: *** target pattern contains no '%'. Stop.
I find however different results in my older cygwin32/cmake-2.8.9 run, which didn't need any -DCMAKE_HOST_UNIX help, and proceeded quite far before
cmake.out - 3 configurations copied from cmake-gui(2.8.12) window before generation.
make.out (short) make from this showing error on first item.
bldcyg32make.out - configuration and make output from the cygwin32/cmake-2.8.9 run (using windows XP)