Help creating grid.

Help
Bio
2009-01-19
2013-03-15
  • Bio

Bio - 2009-01-19

I'm new to PLplot. Previously I use GNUplot but then had problem with plotting speed when plotting too many points. Anyway, can anyone tell me if PLplot is the right tool to go?

Criteria:
    - one window with 4 subplot. Top half plot one 3-D plot and bottom half has three 2-D plots.
    - Plot 10,000 - 20,000 points (I don't need to plot surface or lines, just points).
    - has to be fast (My program will keep on refreshing the plot).

My next question is that I tried to create a 3D plot in PLplot, but I want to have grids on the x-z and y-z plane, just like example 11 in PLplot website: http://plplot.sourceforge.net/examples.php?demo=11.
    My Understanding is that I need to use add a letter 'd' inside the function plbox3(..), but the grid will only be shown after we call either plot3d(...) or plmesh(...). The thing is I only want to plot a point in the 3D plane so I only use plpoin3(...). Do I miss something? Is there an easy way to plot grid? Is there another way to get what I want?

thanks so much for the help.

• Werner Smekal

Werner Smekal - 2009-01-19

Hi,

first I would urge to ask your questions on the mailing list, since the forum is not often used by developers, except maybe me. Therefore, ask your questions again on the plplot-general mailing list.

Regarding the plotting speed. 1e4-2e4 plotting points might be a little much, it depends how often you need an update. The plotting speed also depends on the driver you are using, the fastest is the xwin device, which may by up to the task. No nice output, not antialiasing, no nice fonts, but fast. In addition it should be possible to add points to a plot without updating (redrawing) the whole plot, as long as you don't change the x and y axis. Anyway, this is something you need to test, you could start with example 21, only plot points and profile how long plplot needs to plot the points - and as I said it should be possible to just add points to a plot, so then speed shouldn't matter anymore.

Regarding your plbox3 question, please ask the mailing list, I'm not sure myself.

Regards,
      Werner

• Bio

Bio - 2009-01-19

Hi, thanks for the quick reply.

What is the link to the plplot general mailing list?
        Do I just email : plplot-general@lists.sourceforge.net?

Thanks.

• Werner Smekal

Werner Smekal - 2009-01-19

Hi,

I'm not sure if you're just allowed to mail to the list. Try it. If not, you need to subscribe here:

http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=2915

the general list is rather low-traffic, but you can unsubscribe after messages were answered.

Regards,
          Werner

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks