Unable to launch the viewer.

Help
2008-08-20
2013-03-15
  • Partha kotte

Partha kotte - 2008-08-20

I am new to PlPlot. I could build the library (5.8) without any problem on Windows XP using CMake. I am able to run the C++ sample (08). I want to create a viewer and do the zoom, rotate etc. I am going to create my own Ui for input. But I want to use any viewers available with this application. I saw many optional 3d party libraries and built all of them like qhull, wxwidget. Can I use anyof these for that purpose? If so how to link these drivers to PlPlot?

Regards,
    Partha

• Werner Smekal

Werner Smekal - 2008-08-20

It depends with which GUI toolkit you write your application. If for example you use the wxWidgets toolkit you can use the wxWidgets bindings, which provide a way to plot into a wxWidgets canvas: http://plplot.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/plplot/trunk/bindings/wxwidgets/ . If e.g. you use the QT Toolkit or the MFC library these bindings are not of any help. In that case it's best to use the mem device to plot into memory and view this memory in your application - here you can use any GUI toolkit you want. There is also the memcairo device which plots much nicer (antialized) but for that you need the cairo library - not a problem, but an additional library. So if you need further help I would need to know which GUI toolkit you intend to use.

Regards,
      Werner

• Partha kotte

Partha kotte - 2008-08-21

Thanks a lot Werner. I am planning to use Tcl/Tk toolkit for GUI. Could you suggest me the approach now.

• Werner Smekal

Werner Smekal - 2008-08-21

Ok, with Tcl/Tk I have not much experience. But there are tcl/tk drivers. Have a look in the drivers directory (tk.c, tkwin.c, ntk.c). And in the bindings directory (tcl, tk, tk-x-plat). So in theory, you write a tcl/tk program and use the the tcl/tk bindings to have access to the plplot library. This allows to use all drivers available (even wxWidgets) - but they all use their own window. Then you need to find out, which driver (tk.c, tkwin.c, ntk.c) allows you to set a pointer to a canvas in which the driver can plot into. This would allow you to manage this canvas. It's best to ask the plplot-general mailing list (https://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum_name=plplot-general), since more people read this list and may point you to the right direction.

Werner

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks