neil - 2014-03-19

I'd just like to report a small bit of progress in getting PLplot to work on the Netbeans IDE, in both Windows and Linux Mint.

Under Windows i used the Cmake GUI program to build binaries (static archive (.dll.a) and the dynamic link (.dll) libraries) from the source code and the CMakeLists.txt. To do this you just start the Cmake GUI program and tell Cmake where the source code is (that directory where the CMakeLists.txt and other files from the sourceforge download are), and where you want Cmake to put the built binaries, then press the "configure" button. For some reason you need to press the "configure" button twice for it to find all the files. Just once leaves you with a red background on Cmake, indicating files are not found, however pressing it again returns a white background, indicating files are found. Then you press the "generate" button, which generates the binaries.

You then start the Netbeans IDE program, and for the particular project, go to "File" menu and select "Build" then "Linker, and under "Additional Library Directories" add the name of the directory where the binaries from Cmake have been placed. Then from the same menu click "Libraries" and add the individual library files for the binaries. You will also need to add the include *.h header files for PLplot which you will find in the PLplot download.

On Linux Mint the installation procedure was quicker - just follow the PLplot on-line installation guide, running Cmake this time from a command window. As with Windows this creates static (.a) and dynamic (shared) (.so) libraries, the locations of which you can find. As in Windows, just tell Netbeans where these libraries and the header (*.h) files are and PLplot will begin to plot your functions.

Apparently Netbeans can work directly with the CmakeList.txt file, and i will try this when i have a moment.